Kilobyte Kid
FTL_Ian

Two M500 drives in RAID are not visible to Win7 & 8 installers. (Asus M5A97, M5A97V2 :: AMD SB950)

[ Edited ]

Just got a couple of M500 drives for the first time and installed them in a machine with an ASUS M5A97 V2.0 motherboard.  Motherboard is updated with the most recent BIOS.  AMD's RAID setup saw the drives and I set them into a RAID 0.  Everything is good so far, it seems.

Tried to install Win8.1, but it could not see the RAID.  Tried to load up several different AMD RAID drivers.  None allowed the RAID to be seen. 

Tried to install Win7.  Same problem.  RAID not seen, tried several drivers.

Re-installed old WD Velociraptors (they had been in there as RAID 0 previous to the M500s), and the installer saw that RAID fine.

Tried the M500s on different SATA ports on the board.  Same issue - I can create the RAID but it refuses to be seen.

I took them out of RAID and set them to IDE.  Now they can be seen by the installer, of course.  However, I want them in RAID, so thinking something might be screwy with the motherboard, I try my OTHER M5A97 (not the 2.0).  Same issues.  (This mobo BIOS is also up-to-date.)

I also have an ancient Asus M2V-MX dual core board from back in '07, I think.  I popped the drives in there, set them to RAID in the VIA RAID setup, and the windows 8 installer had no problem seeing the RAID - I didn't even have to try loading a driver.

This testing has taken me hours over the last several days and I'm baffled and internet searches reveal no one else with the same issue.  Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

Kilobyte Kid
semaster

Re: Two M500 drives in RAID are not visible to Win7 & 8 installers. (Asus M5A97, M5A97V2 :: AMD

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem.

Tried to setup win 8 on raid 5 build from four M500 drives

motherboard M5A99, raid controller AMD SB950

raid is creating normally and is visible during boot post bu when installing windows does not find drive

tried to load drivers from oficcial asus site

Thanks for any help in advance.

Bit Baby
urugamer

Re: Two M500 drives in RAID are not visible to Win7 & 8 installers. (Asus M5A97, M5A97V2 :: AMD

Hello, how are you, I have the same problem as you, I have 2 crucial m500 240g discs and no way to see on raid probe all the drivers out there and there is no way, or possibly firmware problem or compatibility with mother I have asus mother amd 990x.

Bit Baby
urugamer

NO ONE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION ?????

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

FTL_Ian wrote:

tried several drivers

I sit quietly since I am no RAID user but the question I wanted to ask was: what exact drivers (with their revisions preferably) did you try? 

I thought that proper F6 RAID driver should do the job.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby
urugamer

try the driver from the original conn mother and also with drivers from the asus website, no way I can see any ssd in raid mode only dvdrw discs and mechanical

Binary Boss
leexgx

[ Edited ]

(nice another site annoying using Lithium **bleep** fourm code, it brakes so many things)

any way

typicly i say RAID is no point with SSDs if speed is what your looking for, as a SSD even a slow modern SSD (if you can call them slow) is stupid faster then any HDD, better off just getting a single 980GB SSD + 2TB HDD/SSHD or 480gb SSD+ 2TB HDD/SSHD ( 1-2TB SSHD as they only about £10-20 more then a normal HDD)

the bigger SSDs are cheper to buy if you buy the Size you need, RAID is pointless if its for RAID 0 that is, if it is for RAID like 5 then ok but i would still not recommend it

with AMD RAID you norm need the RAID drivers, copy them to a USB pen you can insert it once your at the select disk page and press load, once you have done that you be able to see the blank disk0 or disk1

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%208%20-%2032

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-12_win7_win8_32-64_raid.exe (you have to goto the above link first as they do not let you directly link to there files)

start the install and the RAID driver should be in 

C:\AMD\Support\13-12_win7_win8_32-64_raid\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB8xx\RAID

(assuming SB8xx board if not pick the sb7xx or the other 2)

you must unpack the drivers (start the setup so it extracts the files) and copy the folder to the USB (if you know what your looking for you only need the folder with the sys and inf file in it typicly)

Bit Baby
urugamer

I still have the same problem, install drivers from amd site but all the same, I insist that it is a problem of compatibility between these discs and amd chipset, also in other forums the same thing happens to people with previous amd mother and these discs only in raid mode in bios I can see mechanical drives, disk m500 not see any.

Binary Boss
leexgx

[ Edited ]

very odd that is, i did today have an issue with a dell that would not see the installed disk that was installed in the end i had to use a dell XP disk and it detected the disk

the only way your going to get around it is install windows with one disk and setup 2 other SSDs in raid, think AMD boards allow you to set some of the ports to RAID or none raid disks/dvd are auto AHCI enabled  (when Bios is in raid mode)

not much point in RAIDing SSDs unless its the redundancy your looking for (RAID 0 is not redundant)

the only other way you can do it (its little bit long winded ish, explained below) short way > copy working HDD or working HDD RAID to RAID SSD array and then boot from it (disconnect old array or single disk), you should be able to do it as you have 4-6 SATA ports

install windows onto a RAID HDD setup or a single HDD with the raid option enabled in the bios (should also work),

once windows is Installed, install the AMD raid drivers so it updates the drivers (if windows has allready installed the RAID driver then you may or may not need to install them as some times they make more issues, i would skip to the next step first if the raid is not detected then install them),

put the SSD in and make the RAID layout on the 2-3 SSDs,

important Bit > Boot into windows so it sees the RAID array (you should see it in disk management, ignore the initialise thing, as the RAID array is going to get overwitten any way)

clone the single HDD/RAID HDD to the SSD raid setup (http://www.backup-utility.com/download.html press the Local download button that is below the Cnet download button, as Cnet site is bit ad heavy) AOMEI Backupper allows you to do the clone in windows normally

once that is done, if it was cloned in windows, AOMEI Backupper will refresh the disk layout and you see that it did clone

Shutdown the PC and disconnect the none RAID HDD and see if it boots off the RAID array

if your system is already working right now using a single HDD or RAID array HDD setup and you left the RAID option enabled in the BIOS(if its set to AHCI set it to RAID see if the system boots) setup the SSD RAID array and boot into windows and Clone the HDD/HDD RAID to the SSD RAID array, shutdown PC and dissconnect the HDD and try booting from the SSD RAID array it should work as windows has the correct drivers to boot it

long time ago when i used to use RAID with 4 HDDs with battlefield 2 (you could get into the game 2 seconds before the round started when you had 3-4 disks in RAID 0, others still had up to 30-60 seconds still to go before they loaded) i had issues with not detecting HDDs in raid array when at the dvd Setup stage, been a long time i used RAID, Never used RAID from the first day i had a SSD as there is 0 point and you lose TRIM as well (unless its Intel RAID with up to date drivers as that does have limited support for TRIM under RAID)

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]

urugamer wrote:

install drivers from amd site but all the same

Could you please post an information what exact drivers revisions (versions) did you install? "Drivers from amd site" doesn't sound too precise :smileywink: Sorry for bothering you but this information may be useful to someone with the same issue (the same motherboard) as well as for further troubleshooting.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!