Kilobyte Kid
gates
Accepted Solution

Unable to upgrade firmware 000F to 070H in a Dell Desktop

[ Edited ]

Have  had several attempts at updating the firmware on my 256GB M4 SSD, but have had little joy so far.

20130629_131853-small.jpg

The above Invalid Opcode error in Sata 0 position

The same error in Sata 1 below

2013-06-29 13.36.00-small.jpg

Im upgrading in a Dell XPS 435 desktop , BIOS settings set to RAID . Only other setting in option is SATA (there is no ACHI) .

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Unable to upgrade firmware 000F to 070H in a Dell Desktop

[ Edited ]
in reply to gates

You can't upgrade in raid mode.  Set it to sata, upgrade, then back to raid.

I have the previous model - the XPS420. :smileyhappy:

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
gates

in reply to targetbsp

hmm..ok i tried that..it doesnt appear to matter what SATA mode i set in BIOS, ATA or RAID, i get the same Invalid Opcode error returned in both SATA port 0 and Sata port 1..

while the Windows Update Tool v 1.0.0.41 ( I tried that before resorting to a Bootable CD!) does not even see the M4 drive in my system...

..i dont have another machine to try getting the firmware upgraded in. Would i be able to upgrade the firmware using something like this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-box-ib-223u3-b-polycarbonate-enclosure-fits-25-sata-hdd-ssd-usb-3...

or failing that can i send the drive back to crucial under warranty (drive is 8 months old) to perform the upgrade on my behalf?..i really dont know which way to turn with this

the underlying issue i have is drive hang during resume from Sleep which on the face of it is cleared by a reboot - well until the next time the drive decides to hang. Reading the Release notes - firmware 070H appears to be the fix for this occurrence.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to gates

With regards to your specific issue, are you using Intel Rapid Storage Tech drivers?  Mine hangs randomly on resume with 11.5 or newer of those drivers under Windows 7.  11.2 works best.  Curiously all versions work OK on Windows 8 though.

With regards to the firmware, it has helped people to disconnect all drives except the SSD and the cd drive being used to update the firmware from.  Remember to be in ATA mode whilst trying that.

You can't update the firmware from anything other than an internal sata port.

Kilobyte Kid
gates

in reply to targetbsp

sorry for the delayed response..Yes, I am using IRST drivers, version 11.6.0.130 which i think is the current version. I'm on Windows 8. This hang issue does not occur very often admittedly but just enough to be frustrating all the same. All drives bar the SSD and the cd drives have now been disconnected. However, with BIOS set to ATA and regardless of which SATA internal port i use,  I am still getting the Invalid Opcode error.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to gates

Try 11.2 of the Intel drivers.

'Invalid Opcode' is unfortunately a generic 'freedos doesn't like your computer' error code and is pretty hard to diagnose.

Kilobyte Kid
gates

in reply to gates
Just posting back to update and close the thread..have successfully updated the firmware in a friend's rig..have no idea why my Dell pc would not play ball..anyway job done..will see how the new firmware fares up with my SSD..