Kilobyte Kid
Sonicmojo

Why did the latest Crucial M4 Firmware Update 070H - do nothing to my machine?

I downloaded the new firmware package last night and executed it per the instruction and was expecting the software to actually do something when my machine restarted - like go into the DOS based look within the instructions.

But the machine simply restarted and landed right back at the Windows logon....

Did I grab the wrong firmware? Or is my drive not working right? I also tried to lookup up the latest firmware revision to my one (of 3) M4 drives and this one on my work machine indicates a firmware revision of 0609 - which I cannot find any reference to - anywhere.

Thoughts?

Sonic.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: Why did the latest Crucial M4 Firmware Update 070H - do nothing to my machine?

in reply to Sonicmojo

It is possible it's not a M4 but one of Micron's OEM drives, like here. Could you please post a screenshot from CrystalDiskInfo (just be careful to deny any permission to install the ads during setup)?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Sonicmojo

Re: Why did the latest Crucial M4 Firmware Update 070H - do nothing to my machine?

in reply to bogdan

bogdan wrote:

It is possible it's not a M4 but one of Micron's OEM drives, like here. Could you please post a screenshot from CrystalDiskInfo (just be careful to deny any permission to install the ads during setup)?

These are all retail Crucial drives - all in retail packages (CT128M4SSD2) as shown here:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35603

Clearly the real "M4" deal....

Ideas?

Sonic

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to Sonicmojo

Does CrystalDiskInfo say 0609?  Someone had an issue the other day where Windows was reporting the wrong firmware but Crystal was correct.

If Crystal also says 0609, is the model number for the drive correct?  ie. CT... etc.  Crystal will also show you that.

Kilobyte Kid
Sonicmojo

in reply to targetbsp

I will checkout CrystalDiskInfo later this evening to confirm.

Tis a bit strange how I could not find any reference to firmware 0609 - like ever - in any search that I tried.

Again - i am seeing this "0609" by right clicking on the drive in My Computer, choosing Properties...then Advanced Tab and viewing the string data that I see under Hardware IDs....it's clearly showing a "0609" in the strings near the end...

Sonic.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Sonicmojo

As Bogan showed in the Gateway link earlier, it appears to be a Micron OEM firmware version.

Micron make the C400 which computer manufacturers pre-install into PC's and which Crucial, their retail arm, sell to end-users as the M4.

It sounds like one of your drives is for some reason an OEM drive rather than a Crucial one.

Kilobyte Kid
Sonicmojo

in reply to targetbsp

targetbsp wrote:

As Bogan showed in the Gateway link earlier, it appears to be a Micron OEM firmware version.

Micron make the C400 which computer manufacturers pre-install into PC's and which Crucial, their retail arm, sell to end-users as the M4.

It sounds like one of your drives is for some reason an OEM drive rather than a Crucial one.

Hmm...strange.

I have only updated the firmware on this specific drive just once (right when I purchased it last fall)  - and the only firmware updater I ever had (prior to downloading the new one yesterday) was a known Crucial branded updater.

I have no knowledge of ever going to Gateway or Acer or any OEM to get a firmware updater....I have only hit the Crucial site prior.

I need to check out my firmware stash latyer this evening and see what I used.

Sonic.

Kilobyte Kid
Sonicmojo

in reply to Sonicmojo

Ok...here's a shot from DiskInfo...clearly showing this as an M4 and firmware 0609...

Ideas?

Cheers!

Sonic

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Sonicmojo

Sonicmojo wrote:

Ideas?

Err... in short... nope! I think you'd have to talk to Crucial Support for your region (link in my signature) as I have no idea about that.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to targetbsp

Following question is a little tricky but... Do you really need to update that firmware? :smileywink: I am just asking, leave well enough alone, this kind of stuff :smileywink:

In case you were trying Windows updater I would try Manual Boot File with CD or USB stick (I prefer that method). With no success I would try to switch BIOS/UEFI SATA mode to IDE/Compatibile/Legacy just for an update procces (just be careful to switch back to former mode prior to next Windows startup).