Kilobyte Kid
bradlymathews

Will not boot from M4 Firmware update boot cd

I created the ISO image per instructions (and yes, an ISO image, not a data CD) but my computer will not boot to it. I created two disks with two different programs, CDBurnerXP and Cyberlink  Power2Go. The image was burned onto DVD+R.

It kinda hangs for 20 seconds with the cursor blinking at the point it is supposed to be booting, before finally going to Windows. I verified that this computer will boot to CD using the Windows 7 install CD as well as the True Image Home Linux boot ISO. 

This computer has an ASUS P7P55D LE mobo with a first gen Core i5. My Toshiba DVD drive IDE.  I have two Caviar Black drives on SATA channels 1 and 2. Channels 3 and 4 are Crucial M4-128s in RAID 0. I set the BIOS HDD config back to IDE from RAID for this operation and the BIOS recognized all 4 drives successfully.

I tried the disk in another computer and it boots there just fine.

The machine that successfully booted is a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 with a Core i5 2500k, an LG SATA BD-R (what I used to burn the ISO image), a Caviar Black boot drive and a 4 disk Caviar Green RAID 0 array. The boot cd corrrectly sees that there are no M4's on this machine.

- Brad

Upgrade Ace
error-id10t

Re: Will not boot from M4 Firmware update boot cd

You could try the USB method if this keeps failing. I don't know what OS you have but for the CD burn I just used Win7 itself, no 3rd party products.

If you're really stuck, you may need to unplug the other drives and just try with one SSD at a time...

Kilobyte Kid
pcbarrett

I have the same exaact issue.  I have p8p67 & 64G M4SSD.001

Kilobyte Kid
Juice370

Tips for anyone struggling with this. Especially if the Windows Updater crashes like it did for me in Windows 8.

1. Download Crucial Firmware Update.zip file

2. Unzip using Windows, WinRAR, 7 Zip, etc to get to the ISO file.

3. If you burn the ISO file directly to a CD or DVD it will not boot in Windows, so...

4. Mount the ISO file in Windows or in a software such as PowerISO, UltraISO, etc, to get to the Boot folder.

5. Burn this (the contents of the ISO file to) a CD or DVD fom within the ISO software (Windows, UltraISO, PowerISO).

6. With newly burned CD / DVD still in the in drive, restart PC and immediately click F12 or F8 (on most machines) to enter Boot order, select CD/DVD,drive, hit enter and the update will start.

7. Follow instructions on accompanying firmware PDF but its simple and self-explantory from here.