Kilobyte Kid
keyboardjohn
Accepted Solution

acronis

Hi all

I have purchased a M550 256GB SSD with the desktop install kit. My hard drive is 931.5 GB NTFS and is partitioned into

(100 MB system reserved)

(204GB drive C: boot page file crash dump primary partition)

(D:726.43 GB primary partition)

I insert the Aronis true image cd and restart my PC and select auto clone,it tells me that my SSD is not big enough to clone, so I select manual and try to clone the partition C: but acronis tells me to exclude the files I don't want to transfer over,this is where I become completely lost. I don't understand the layout of the exclude files bit,whichever way I try it still tells me my SSD is not big enough.

Is some kind soul willing to please help this 73 year old fool,

John.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: acronis

in reply to keyboardjohn

I've never used Acronis so I probably can't help with the excluded files.  But I would like to point out that it is essential that you also clone the 100MB partition.  It contains the boot files for Windows.

204GB should fit easily into a 256GB drive so I'm not sure what's going on there.  If you do need to exclude things, and that screen makes no sense, just move them from C to D yourself in Windows before cloning.  That's the way I've always done cloning.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

SODIMM Sherpa
Derek_S

in reply to keyboardjohn

Hello keyboardjohn and welcome to the forum. If you could provide a little more information it would give us a better idea of how to proceed.

1.) What version of Windows are you using? I ask this because in Windows Vista, 7, and 8, Windows Disk Management allows you to shrink and extend partitions. Windows XP does not have this feature, which means you will have to use third party disk partitioning software to resize and move partitions. Please tell us if this is the situation and I can provide links to the needed software.

2.) You mentioned that C: is 204GB in total size, D: is 726GB in total. Can you tell us the amount of data present in each partition? In other words, C: is using X GB out of 204GB and D: is using Y GB out of 726GB. This would be helpful in determining just how far C: and D: can be shrunk prior to cloning. You should defragment both C: and D: first and move your data to the "left" side of each partition prior to shrinking them.  

3.) C: is your system partition containing the Windows operating system. But what about D:? Is it a factory installed recovery partition?(I doubt this, it's far too large!) Did you create it? If so, what are you using it for? If you are using it to store data, can this data be copied to C:? Just how much data is present on D:? You will have to do some analysis on your own here to determine if you really need to clone D: along with C:, or if you can copy it's files to C: and delete it, then clone only the C: partition.

4.) I agree with targetbsp, the 100MB system reserved partition must be cloned, otherwise you might find that you cannot boot your system.

Keep one thing in mind when resizing your partitions - you do not actually have 256GB in total to work with on the Crucial drive. This is because manufacturers define 1GB as 1000x1000x1000 bytes(decimal), whereas your operating system defines 1GB as 1024x1024x1024 bytes(binary: 2^10). Doing the math, 256x(1000x1000x1000) / (1024x1024x1024) = 238.41GB, the actual capacity as Windows sees it. To allow a just a little wiggle room, use 238GB when planning how far to resize your partitions.

Kilobyte Kid
keyboardjohn

in reply to Derek_S

Thank you both very much for replying and trying to help me. I am going do some investigations regarding amount of storage used and what I need, I will get back to you as soon as I have the information you need.

John.

Kilobyte Kid
keyboardjohn

in reply to keyboardjohn

in reply to keyboardjohn

Hello keyboardjohn and welcome to the forum. If you could provide a little more information it would give us a better idea of how to proceed.

--------------------------------------------------------

OK, I have finished my investigations and hope the following information helps you to understand my system,please let me know if more info is required.

----------------------------------------------------------

1.) What version of Windows are you using? I ask this because in Windows Vista, 7, and 8, Windows Disk Management allows you to shrink and extend partitions. Windows XP does not have this feature, which means you will have to use third party disk partitioning software to resize and move partitions. Please tell us if this is the situation and I can provide links to the needed software.

1.a) I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. Service Pack 1, Windows updates are automatic.

----------------------------------------

2.) You mentioned that C: is 204GB in total size, D: is 726GB in total. Can you tell us the amount of data present in each partition? In other words, C: is using X GB out of 204GB and D: is using Y GB out of 726GB. This would be helpful in determining just how far C: and D: can be shrunk prior to cloning. You should defragment both C: and D: first and move your data to the "left" side of each partition prior to shrinking them.

2.a)C: is used space= 157 GB  free space=47.2GB

D: is used space= 320GB   free space=406GB

I don't understand what you mean by (move your data to the "left" side of each partition prior to shrinking them.)

----------------------------------------------

3.) C: is your system partition containing the Windows operating system. But what about D:? Is it a factory installed recovery partition?(I doubt this, it's far too large!) Did you create it? If so, what are you using it for? If you are using it to store data, can this data be copied to C:? Just how much data is present on D:? You will have to do some analysis on your own here to determine if you really need to clone D: along with C:, or if you can copy it's files to C: and delete it, then clone only the C: partition.

3.a)Windows is on C: I did not create the partition. I ordered my PC from a company called Arbico computers in England and they created the partition. I use D: soley for storage,I also have a WD green 2TB which I installed myself and I use that for incremental backups.

I can copy from D: to C: and vice versa.

D: data is copies of my files from old PC's and my documents from C:

I could copy D: to my 2TB drive or to an external drive but am unsure of how to delete the D: partition.

------------------------------------

4.) I agree with targetbsp, the 100MB system reserved partition must be cloned, otherwise you might find that you cannot boot your system.

4.a) Regarding the 100MB system reserved partition, I can clone that using Ease US software but if I try to add C: it deletes the system partition.

Keep one thing in mind when resizing your partitions - you do not actually have 256GB in total to work with on the Crucial drive. This is because manufacturers define 1GB as 1000x1000x1000 bytes(decimal), whereas your operating system defines 1GB as 1024x1024x1024 bytes(binary: 2^10). Doing the math, 256x(1000x1000x1000) / (1024x1024x1024) = 238.41GB, the actual capacity as Windows sees it. To allow a just a little wiggle room, use 238GB when planning how far to resize your partitions.

---------------------------------------

Thank you very much for your help

John.

SODIMM Sherpa
Derek_S

in reply to keyboardjohn

Hello John - Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you. Thank you for the additional information, it has given me a much better understanding of your situation. The reason that Acronis is refusing to proceed with cloning is due to the fact you have 157GB of data on C: and 320GB of data on D:, which is a combined total of 477GB, far in excess of the space available on your Crucial SSD. I'm not 100% familiar with Acronis since I've been using Macrium Reflect for imaging and cloning for several years now. Give me a chance to visit their website, I want to find if you can clone just the service partition and C: to the Crucial SSD and leave D: alone. If this is not possible, I've thought of another way to do this, but I'd rather keep it simple and see if Acronis can be used. I'll post back with what I find. - Derek

SODIMM Sherpa
Derek_S

[ Edited ]
in reply to Derek_S

Hello John - It didn't take me long to find the answer to the problem. I went to the website and read the instructions for using Acronis 2014, 2013, and 2011, and found this statement right at the very beginning: Acronis can only be used to clone a disk in it's entirety, it will not allow you to clone individual partitions or selected partitions. This is why it's telling you there's not enough room and to exclude some of your files.

So I have a Plan B in mind, but I have to know two things first: Do you have at least 320GB of space available on your 2TB external drive? And are you familiar with and comfortable with using Windows Disk Management to create, format, resize, and delete partitions on your drives? If not, do you have someone that you trust and you feel is capable enough to do this for you? I'll type out more detailed instructions outlining what to do once you give me the OK on this. - Derek

Kilobyte Kid
keyboardjohn

in reply to Derek_S

Hi Derek

Thanks for getting back to me so soon,I really appreciate your help.

I have 1.57 TB space available on my 2TB  drive. I have used Windows disc management to format and rename a drive,but never to partition or delete,I think if you can walk me through the procedure in laymans language I may be able to accomplish the task?

I don't know anyone who could do this for me,I live in sheltered housing for the elderly and the few who have PC's rely on me if anything goes wrong:smileyembarrassed:

By the way, is it just my PC,or has the forum undergone some change recently? The message body text is all aligned to the left in a column of about four words wide which makes it quite difficult to read.

Best wishes

John.

SODIMM Sherpa
Derek_S

[ Edited ]
in reply to keyboardjohn

Hello John - No, it's not your PC. Everyone seems to be affected by this change in how the forum posts are displayed. I understand that the administrators are looking into the problem, so we'll just have to deal with it for now.

One thing working against us is the 5 hour difference in time zones. From now on I'll try to post earlier in the day to give you a better chance to read my post on the same day.

Before going too much further, I'd like to know how all of your hard drives are connected right now. I understand that the 2TB external drive that you use for backups is probably connected to a USB port. And that your original 1TB internal drive is probably mounted in a drive bay inside your desktop and connected using a SATA cable. Just how do you have the 256GB Crucial SSD connected right now? Are you using an adapter from a cloning kit to connect it to a USB port, or is it already mounted in a second drive bay and connected using a SATA cable?

What I'm really looking for is an answer to this: Are you planning to replace your current 1TB drive with the Crucial SSD? Or are you planning to use both drives in your system? I'm assuming the latter, but I need to know for certain what you are planning to do. Be aware that you will need a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch drive bay mounting kit and a SATA cable to mount the Crucial SSD in your case. Please post back letting me know how you want to proceed and I'll adjust my plans accordingly. - Derek

Kilobyte Kid
keyboardjohn

in reply to Derek_S

Hi Derek

All my drives are internaly mounted and Sata connected, I ordered a mounting kit when I oredered the SSD.

My motherboard has 4 Sata sockets and they are all occupied now with

C:1TB partitioned.

E: CD ROM drive.

F: SSD 256GB drive.

K: 2TB drive. 

What I want to do is use the SSD for my operating system and program applications. I would then use the existing 1 TB C: drive for storage.

Hope this is what you need.

John.