Memory Leak Geek
sheppo
Accepted Solution

c300 128gb - read only + can't upgrade from 0001

So, been a big fan of my c300 128gb since i bought it over a year ago.

However, the past few days the games i run from it have started crashing, or having corrupt textures, whereas everything from other HDDs was fine. I decided to run a boot time chkdsk on the drive... at this point i was informed there was corruption on the drive, and it was unable to re-allocate bad blocks due to lack of drive space, and thusly windows would not boot with the drive connected.

After much hair pulling, and booting in to linux repair environments it seems the drive is read only, but for the most part the data is there okay, so i was able to pull data off without problems, but it seems the disk is now dead?

i decided to check for a firmware update to see if that would resolve the problem. With my PC in IDE mode, with the ssd connected on one of the first 4 sata ports the 0001 -> 0002 firmware boot CD fails to detect the drive.

Oddly, the 0002 -> 0006 CD does detect the drive, but wont let me upgrade, because the drive is still on 0001. ARGH!

so... questions

1) is it likely the drive is in read only mode, or is it dead?

2) will a firmware update resolve this issue (i hear the 0002 update performs a low-level format of the drive)

3) any easy way of grabbing the firmware images from the 0002 ISO, and using them inside the 0006 ISO?

4) any other tips or suggestions?

many thanks

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

Re: c300 128gb - read only + can't upgrade from 0001

[ Edited ]

Can you please try the 0001 to 0002 update again, this time connect your SSD to the very first SATA port (Usually SATAII_0 or 1 if zero is not present).  And set BIOS to IDE mode, and try Native enabled and disabled if you have that option right under the IDE/AHCI setting as well, sometimes only one way works. 

Also try the updater from another desktop if you can, the newer the better!

If that doesn't help I can possibly create a USB updater package for you so you can see if that will help.  I can make one with the 0001 files, or the 0002 to 0006 files as you mentioned (I'll start doing that now in ISO format as that's normally easier for users to setup, I'll post an update with files later)

1.  Not sure if that is possible, you can see if Diskpart will correct the drive using the method below

2.  Unsure, we'll have to see the outcome of diskpart as that may fix it all (Drive will be erased though)

3.  Yes, that is possible as well, I can do it for you USB or ISO, but without a disk on 0001 firmware I wont be able to verify it works so you may need to report back if there's and issue and if so I might have to make 2-3 different packages for you until we find one that works.   I have to do that each time I make a USB updater, but I test that myself and find the correct files needed before posting for others.

4.  Yes, if you want to try clearing the disk so you can use it while you figure out the firmware updates, please try the following in Diskpart with a Windows 7 or Vista install DVD

Boot to CD, choose repair, then advanced, then command prompt:

Diskpart commands to align and create a partition

Diskpart >List Disk

(Here note the Disk # you want to align and create on based on size of drive, if only one drive then you are fine disk 0 will be the one you need)

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
(Or other disk number if need be)

Diskpart > List Partition
(Just to ensure you have the correct disk listed and no partitions are found)

Diskpart > Clean
(Removes any previous partition table information, and or MBR's)

Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
(To create and align your partition)

Diskpart> Format Quick FS=NTFS
(To Quick format-NTFS)

(To check partition was created properly and aligned)

Diskpart > Active
(To set partition Active for OS Install)

Diskpart > Exit

Done!

Clean and simple for those who have only one disk connected and need no explanations

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
Diskpart > Clean
Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
Diskpart > Format Quick FS=NTFS
Diskpart > Active
Diskpart > Exit

Memory Leak Geek
sheppo

[ Edited ]

Hey lsdmeasasp, thanks for the response. :-)

I've seen the 0002 USB updater, and 0006 USB updater posts on this forum, so I'm gonna try creating a 0002 FW update using the .exe from the 0006 update, and forcing the right firmware image - as I realised i could determine which firmware image was correct using one of the switches..

So i'm hoping that i'll be able to update to 0002 that way once i get home. From there, if the disk isn't totally dead i should be golden, as apparently the 0002 update process does a low-level wipe of the disk anyway.

the whole read-only side of things is interesting though. mounting the drive as read only in linux i was able to read the drive as normal, no issues, no data loss, no reported errors or anything, and recover my all my data. So it's a little odd the drive simply wont accept any write attempts, and windows wont boot up with it connected because it can't write its NTFS transaction log to it. 

Is this normal behaviour for SSDs when they're about to die? 

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

Did you try vis USB to 0002 yet?  The files need to be switched out, inside the ISO, and some files may need to be edited such as I know the autoexecute will need changed inside the boot2280 img file, but no forcing needed :smileywink:

I've never seen this happen, so I don't think it's normal.   If nothing works, firmware update aside, I think a HDDerase will reset the drive and correct this read only state, unless it is going bad.

Working on the firmware ISO for you now, I'll put 0001 to 002 firmware inside of 0002 to 0006 updater program, but I'll only be able to test as far as confirming it runs and finds my drives since mine are already 0002, 0006 or 0007

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

If it can't be done via CD ISO, I can for sure create a bootable USB package for you with that method!

*Edit*

OK, ISO Creation done, testing now.   If it works as far as I can test I'll upload it for you, and I'll also go ahead and upload a USB package too, and include the link to my 0002 to 0006 package so you can read my directions on how to use my package.

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

No dice on the ISO!  

It may be due to certain files must be used with certain firmware, I know this because I always have to switch them around for USB packages.  So it may be a moot point trying this, because the necessary files might be the ones that don't allow the 0001 to  0002 update to see your drive, but I'll build a USB package instead and see if that matters.

Testing that now, will update with USB files or bad news :smileysurprised:

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

OK, USB package is tested and working as far as I can test!  Be careful with this as it will update any SSD with any version of firmware with this 0001 to 0002 firmware, of course it may also just fail when you type yes to flashing (I can't test).   Anyway, please do not pass it out to anyone and let me know once you have downloaded it so that I can delete the file. 

Of course I do suggest that you try the original 0001 to 0002 update ISO again using the SATA ports and settings that I mentioned in my first reply, as that may be the only reason it was failing for you.  Or try in another desktop first, just saying to exhaust all other possibilities before flashing with unofficial firmware methods.

THESE FILES ARE FOR SHEPPO ONLY, IF THAT ISN'T YOU DO NOT USE!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?u3hyju8u9z8bbui

Use the following guide to create your USB bootable stick, use the files above in step #5 of this guide (For ease of use, please unzip the above directly onto your USB after you do the bootable steps)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/RealSSD-C300-0007-Firmware-Update-Feedback-Thread...

Memory Leak Geek
sheppo

thanks for taking time to sort out that USB image for me...

some part of it worked.. but i dont think it was intended.. upon trying to run it again it said there was a password on the device, and it couldn't try again?!

well, no idea what's going on with that, but i scratched around online and found this article after googling around for HDDerase , and i tried the util, no luck. So, on to the next option that required partedMagic.

That detected the drive, and i tried an erase there, it said it was doing it, but finished instantly..

i ran hdparm -I on the drive, and the following is the output.. 

note the lack of NOT next to LOCKED.. :-(

i think i'm at a dead end now... time to look at buying another SSD

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

Ahh!   Sorry to hear the hassle continues!

So, please explain what happend with the USB firmware update, the first time around I mean?  Did you already have a password set?   I've never seen Crucial Firmware's set a password, but I guess since other apps do when performing certain tasks it may be possible.  I'll see if I can dig around and find it's default password, or I'll see if the firmware team will give it to us.

As for HDDErase, it works best for these SSD's, here's how I suggest using it (It's very picky)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-128GB-RealSSD-C300-becoming-unresponsive/...

When you did try HDDerase, did you get anywhere, or just couldn't get it to run at all?   If you got it running, but stopped it midway through it would have locked your drive with a password.   Those default passwords and how to unclock the drive are outlined here in the first question of their Q & A

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/HDDEraseReadMe.txt

As for your HDParm results, it appears the drive is locked via password, so you need to figure out for sure what locked it so we can find the password for you.   If it's due to HDDerase the above link will get it sorted out for you.  If it was actually the Crucial firmware update, then you'll need to wait on me to find the password for you (I'll look now), or wait for me to hear back from the firmware team.

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

I looked inside everything with a hex editor, and nothing mentions password except the following string, so I assume this is the exact message you see correct?

" Detected security settings on your drive.  Remove the password on this drive and re-run the tool "

Did you already have one set, or did you try erasing the drive before using the USB update?  If so then you'll need to remove that pass set by HDDErase.

I have created another package using the file that controls everything from the 0002 package, instead of the 0006 package, maybe this will work instead but maybe not i there really isn't a password set (or it might not see the drive like the original issue). 

THESE FILES ARE FOR SHEPPO ONLY, IF THAT ISN'T YOU DO NOT USE!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?8ax1i5equ0kwc5e

If there is a pass set then we'll have to figure it out.  If you still get the password error, then there is a password set.  And it does look like there is one set, so see above for passwords and tools to unlock, then once unlocked try this package updater instead.

Sometimes act like you are setting a password on another disk, and then swap in the one you want and fix that.   But that is REALLY hard to time right.   You have to set an actual password on a drive, then reboot and go to set it again but this time intending to remove it by setting a blank password.   So you enter the real password on the other drive, then enter, then blank on the new password and quickly switch out the drive while you hit enter on the new blank password.   That is VERY hard to do, and the two times I have done it properly it took me hours of trying, so you don't want to go there!

Hey, what motherboard are you using anyway?