Kilobyte Kid
meganom

crucial m4 ssd 256gb not recognized by Windows 7 with StarTech Enclosure

I have recently switched to a Toshiba R940 laptop, and want to use my 256gb m4 SSD as an external drive because I have several VMs on it that I use frequently.  I bought a StarTech USB 3.0 enclosure (model S2510BPU33), but when I plug it into the laptop's USB 3 port, it immediately asks me to format it.  Since I want to save the data I have on the SSD, is there a way to tell Windows 7 Professional to recognize the drive?

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: crucial m4 ssd 256gb not recognized by Windows 7 with StarTech Enclosure

Hi meganom,

Thanks for your question.

When connecting a drive it should be picked up as normal without the need to be formatted.  If you ignore the format question, does the drive appear in disk management?

This could also be down to how the partitions are set up on the SSD itself.  It could be that it's trying to open one of the partitions like the boot or recovery partition.  When it asks you to format the drive, how large is the partition that it asks you to format?  If it's a lot smaller than the drive it could the boot or recovery partition. 

Once we know the partition size and if it's showing in disk management we can then look at it further. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
meganom

Hi Crucial_Junket,

Thanks for your reply.  

When I ignore the format question, it does appear on Disk management with 476.94GB RAW. (It is a 500GB drive, not 256GB as I stated on the topic line - sorry).  It was formatted in NTFS before I added data to it.  The format question did not ask me the size it wants to format.  Does this provide you with enough information?

Thanks

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi meganom,

Thanks for your reply.

What I would recommend would be to try the SSD back in your system to make sure the drive is actually working.  I have personally used an ex internal drive as an external drive and it should automatically detect the drive when connected externally. 

I would try it in the system to see if it's still working ok, at that point we know it's something to do with the external case.  Let me know how it goes and I can look in to it further for you. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Binary Boss
brendanhoar

I've run into a small handful of enclosures that do something odd with the block mapping which isn't optimal for users who move disks among devices. Take the previously given advice and verify that your data is still there on the original system.

If so, then don't use that particular enclosure.

Kilobyte Kid
meganom

I tried to use the SSD as the primary drive, and it is working just fine.  So it is this enclosure that does not work with the SSD.  Could you recommend one that does?  I looked on Crucial's website and there is no Crucial brand enclosure for this SSD on USB 3.0 as yet.  Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid
meganom

I tried the SSD on the system, everything came up just fine.  So it may be that the enclosure is not compatible. 

Binary Boss
brendanhoar

Hard to say, but I've had good luck with Zalman enclosures.