Kilobyte Kid
roba

m500 and m4 with Bitlocker and "Software" encryption

TrueCrypt potentially exposes unencrypted data because of SSD wear-leveling.

I cannot set up Hardware-Encryption on the m500, and the m4 doesn't have hardware encryption.

Does Bitlocker, using Software-Encryption,  have the same weakness as TrueCrypt on the m500 or m4?

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: m500 and m4 with Bitlocker and "Software" encryption

[ Edited ]

Hi Roba,

Thanks for contacting us today. If you configure the software encryption to encrypt the entire drive then you will have no issues with the wear leveling. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful weekend.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Binary Boss
clifforama

[ Edited ]
I'm not sure that's entirely true. I suspect the M4 is just as susceptible to "leaking" unencrypted data due to wear-levelling with Bitlocker as with TrueCrypt; the principle is the same. But, in practice, only data that was written to the drive prior to it being software-encrypted is potentially vulnerable, because any data that might get exposed through wear-levelling after being encrypted is, well, already encrypted. So, as long as you encrypt your drive before writing any private data to it, you should be fine. But, if you encrypt it after you've already written private data to it, then exposure of that data through wear-levelling is possible.

With the M500 (or any SED for that matter), all your data is always encrypted under the hood. (Bitlocker just allows you to lock/unlock access to that data.) So, any locked data that might get exposed through wear-levelling will be encrypted anyway.

Anyway, that's my understanding. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, just an end-user who cares enough about the security of his data to spend the time trying to find answers via Google.
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

I don't get that. Why would wear levelling affect whether your data is encrypted or not?

The only situation I can envisage where people might think wear levelling has an effect would be where the drive has moved some static data from a heavily used block to a less used block.  And the assumption is that data in a heavily used block is no longer there at the OS level so wouldn't be encrypted.  However, any modern SSD will have erased that data because to not have done so would hurt its write performance.  And unlike on a HD, erased data isn't recoverable on an SSD.  I can't see how there'd especially be a wear levelling security risk?

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
clifforama

[ Edited ]
I'm not sure what you mean by "the assumption is that data in a heavily used block is no longer there at the OS level so wouldn't be encrypted." I always assumed that the OS is agnostic to wear-levelling. That being the case (and correct me if it's not), then the OS doesn't know if the SSD happened to rewrite data somewhere else for whatever reason, be it for wear-levelling or the phenomenon of write amplification in general. AFAIK, you cannot guarantee that the SSD will have erased any rewritten data before being encrypted, and it is that rewritten data that can potentially be exposed.

Now, that being said, I wouldn't be particularly concerned about such leakage unless I were a highly desirable target (e.g. in possession of, say, highly classified military intel). I can't say with any certainty, but I believe that the effort required to extract leaked data just wouldn't be worth it for a nobody like me. And even if I were a somebody, the leakage of usable, confidential data is only a possibility; there may not be any such leaked data to be extracted.

Furthermore, if using an SED, the above is rendered moot anyway since all data is always encrypted. (That's assuming there are no flaws in the encryption, of course.)

Edit: I think perhaps we're looking at this from two different fronts. I suspect you're looking at the access to data from an ordinary end-user's point of view. In which case, yes, you are correct in that there is no readily available way to access the data. I'm looking at it more from a theoretical point of view, where someone may need to physically extract the NAND chips and somehow extract their contents. (Which I have no idea how one would go about doing, by the way.) The original post referenced data exposure due to wear-levelling in the context of TrueCrypt and whether the same applies to BitLocker. With regards to TrueCrypt, the topic of wear-levelling risks is typically theoretical, so I looked at BitLocker in the same theoretical light. Sorry if that wasn't clear, and for this perhaps unnecessarily long post :smileywink:
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]

clifforama wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "the assumption is that data in a heavily used block is no longer there at the OS level so wouldn't be encrypted." I always assumed that the OS is agnostic to wear-levelling. That being the case (and correct me if it's not), then the OS doesn't know if the SSD happened to rewrite data somewhere else for whatever reason, be it for wear-levelling or the phenomenon of write amplification in general.  AFAIK, you cannot guarantee that the SSD will have erased any rewritten data before being encrypted, and it is that rewritten data that can potentially be exposed.

What I mean is the OS tells the drive to write some data at block A, the drive decides to store it at block G for dynamic wear levelling reasons.  Now lets say this data is either little used so the drive later moves it to block P via static wear leveling, or its overwritten and the overwritten data ends up on P.  Either way G is now unused.  The OS still thinks it's at A and asks for that to be encrypted which the Flash Translation Layer will map to P for encrypting.  The only potential security hazard in this I see, is that the data remains unencrypted in G.  But aside from any firmware bugs, any SSD beyond the gen 1 drives would be quickly erasing that to prevent the drive getting 'dirty' and crippling write performance.  This is beyond the encryption software makers control so they can't guarantee this data is secure.

Binary Boss
clifforama

[ Edited ]
Are you sure that when data is copied from A to G to P, the prior locations are erased along the way? Because if I'm not mistaken, SSDs can't just erase data in the same way HDDs do. So, by the time data has been copied to P, it may still exist at A and/or G until the SSD decides to wipe those locations. And if the drive has plenty of free space, or has other less used areas, it may not wipe those locations anytime soon. But that's just speculation on my part. If in fact you are certain that those locations will be wiped immediately, then the risk is greatly reduced. Perhaps not quite non-existent, but low enough to be negligible (if it weren't already negligible).
JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]

I think that original question was answered by YogiH but I wanted to put my two cents in, from ordinary end-user of TrueCrypt point of view. 

I think that roba was refering to this article. There is an assumption that multiple "versions" of a single sector may be available to an attacker. When you change an encrypted volume password/keyfile(s), the volume header is, under normal conditions, overwritten with a re-encrypted version of the header. On the SSD however it is unsure if the older header is really gone or could it be found on the drive. Then if the attacker would find the old volume header (which was to be overwritten) on the device, he could use it to mount the volume using an old compromised password

Well... if the attacker would obtain access to both your drive and old passwords then I would probably say you might  have more serious issues than wear-leveling :smileywink: 

Similar scenario would probably apply to a encrypted file container and moreover the attacker would possibly try to find some unencrypted data (stored in the container) by searching of residues of swap file or similar data stored on the device I guess.

In general I agree with clifforama in that with full disk encryption there should be no unecrypted data on the disk - all data is encrypted all the time, swap file, hibernation file, everything. So there is no unencrypted data behind that could be revealed with wear-leveling thing I think. The problem with TrueCrypt's full disc encryption is that it writes data to the entire disk. I didn't check that and I would have to verify that but I believe the part of the drive that is empty (contains no data, zeros) prior the encryption would show some random-looking data after encryption. If that would be true that would mean that from the SSD-controller's point of view you have completely filled your SSD with data. While I would probably try that on the drive like M500 (with factory overprovisioning) I don't know how would that affect the drive like M4 (with no overprovisioning). It would be very interesting to test that :smileyvery-happy:

The other possible issue you could face there would be TRIM operation. TrueCrypt advises disabling TRIM for encryted volumes. 

By the way it is possible to extract and rebuild the contents of the NAND chips, some proffesional data recovery centres are able to proceed with that kind of recovery and it is relevant to limited selected SSD controllers they have procedures for. It depends on how close particular SSD controllers and/or SSD drives manufacturer cooperate with particular data recovery centre. If they would be able to "rebuild" the content of the TrueCrypt encrypted SSD drive next they would have to try to brake TrueCrypt encryption itself anyway :smileywink:

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

clifforama wrote:
Are you sure that when data is copied from A to G to P, the prior locations are erased along the way? Because if I'm not mistaken, SSDs can't just erase data in the same way HDDs do. So, by the time data has been copied to P, it may still exist at A and/or G until the SSD decides to wipe those locations. And if the drive has plenty of free space, or has other less used areas, it may not wipe those locations anytime soon. But that's just speculation on my part. If in fact you are certain that those locations will be wiped immediately, then the risk is greatly reduced. Perhaps not quite non-existent, but low enough to be negligible (if it weren't already negligible).

I would have thought that it's precisely because SSD's can't overwite data like a HDD that known deleted blocks are erased as soon as possible when the drive is idle.  On a HDD you can have data marked as deleted and overwrite it at will.  On an SSD it must be pre-erased first.  With very early generation SSD's this crippled write performance after the whole drive had been used once.  And so things like Trim were invented so the OS can tell the drive it needs to erase blocks that the OS considers deleted.  And certainly a Trim command is carried out within seconds of you sending it to an otherwise idle drive.

And then we have Garbage Collection which is more relevant to the wear levelling side of things.  We don't know precisely when this stuff happens, but likewise the drive doesn't know when the user may need to write a ton of data to the drive and it makes no sense for it to leave areas of the drive randomly dirty if it happens upon idle time to deal with it.

I guess the best practise if you don't fancy wiping the drive before encryption would be to give Garbage Collection a good run before encrypting? http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/My-SSD-used-to-be-so-much-faster-What-h... and after changing your password?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

I guess though there is an element of uncertainty that means that if you're having to worry about this your data is probably sensitive enough (I know you clifforama had stated yours wasn't) to warrant hardware encryption.  And more guards on your embassy walls. :smileywink: