Kilobyte Kid
pcguru2000

recommend m500 to replace m4 in raid 0 config

I have 2 m4's running in raid 0.  I've been advised that the m500 240gb will replace the m4 256gb and meet and exceed the m4 specs.  Has anyone done this in a raid array and had any issues with the difference between these two drives getting along?

I have an asus amd board and running windows 7 64.  Has there been any progress in getting a trim tool to work with this setup?  Right now, I'm just praying that the garbage collection is working.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: recommend m500 to replace m4 in raid 0 config

in reply to pcguru2000

Hi pcguru2000,

Thanks for your question.

To be honest replacing one of the m4 drives with an M500 would not increase the performance of the RAID you have set up.  With a RAID zero you want both drives to be as identical as possible, the M500 has a lower capacity than the m4 so you would also loose some space.

If you were looking to make the change to improve the performance then I would recommend against it.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
pcguru2000

in reply to Crucial_Junket
I had called crucial support and said that the 256gb m4's are almost impossible to find for a decent price. He recommended the m500 and said the speed specs should make a difference. I was more worried about the space difference from 240-256gb. That's 16gb different. I really don't want to loose 32gb (16 gb off of each of my m4's) and the tech assured me that the 240gb, there's a lot of extra space on the drive above the 240 which would match up with my 256gb drives. Can you please confirm this with technical support. If it's confirmed that the m500 is too small, what other 256gb drives will work in a raid 0 with my other 2 drives?
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to pcguru2000

The drives have overprovision - but you can't use it.  So you would be effectively reducing all your drives to 240GB in a raid 0 config I would have thought?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
pcguru2000

in reply to targetbsp
any recommendations for something equivalent to an m4-256gb