Megabyte Maverick
grb

recommended tool to clone hard disk to new SSD?

I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop which I intend to install my new Crucial M225 SSD into.

I have three partitions on the current hard disk:

- Dell recovery partition

- Windows 7 boot partition

- Windows 7 OS partition

what is the recommended way to clone my hard disk to the new SSD? since my OS partition will be shrinking considerably, it will need to accomodate cloning an NTFS partition to a smaller one. I do not particularly care about the Dell recovery partition so I may not bother cloning that one.

I have a 2.5" e-SATA disk enclosure which I can for the process, but I don't know if any of the tools out there will be able to use it? would it be more straightforward to connect both drives to a desktop?

any advice would be appreciated.

SODIMM Sherpa
shareef777

Re: recommended tool to clone hard disk to new SSD?

I've used Acronis True Image in the past. Works great and lets you adjust partition sizes before the clone starts.

JEDEC Jedi
lordgllynn

I too have used Acronis and find it to be one of the better applications available. You can get a free trial version from CNET Downloads at www.downloads.com . It is only a 14 day trial, but that should give you enough time to backup your drive. The full version has a lot of perks that the trial version doesn't, so purchasing it may be a good idea too.

Binary Boss
mcnaugha

Hi grb,

I'm confused as to what the difference is between your boot and OS partitions... to me the terms would mean the same thing.

I personally have had no issues at all with the Windows 7 built-in system image facility. I use an external drive to store the system image and then I restore it to a new drive and it comes up with no extra effort at all. I also used this in Vista without issue too.

Megabyte Maverick
grb

mcnaugha wrote:

Hi grb,

I'm confused as to what the difference is between your boot and OS partitions... to me the terms would mean the same thing.

I personally have had no issues at all with the Windows 7 built-in system image facility. I use an external drive to store the system image and then I restore it to a new drive and it comes up with no extra effort at all. I also used this in Vista without issue too.

by default, w7 creates a 100MB boot partition in addition to the OS partition (at least, on an empty drive it does).

I ended up doing a fresh install of w7, anyway, so all good. as I expected, the performance improvement over the previous 5400RPM drive is astounding!

can't wait for the new firmware with TRIM support to be released. thanks Crucial!

Binary Boss
mcnaugha

It's out already... have you tried it yet?

I just got a CT128M in this morning and it went DOA after cloning 50GB out of a 70GB volume. Just dead. The 1711 firmware update listed it but said no drives found. Very annoying.

Megabyte Maverick
grb

mcnaugha wrote:

It's out already... have you tried it yet?

I just got a CT128M in this morning and it went DOA after cloning 50GB out of a 70GB volume. Just dead. The 1711 firmware update listed it but said no drives found. Very annoying.

yeah, I flashed the 1711 firmware onto my drive yesterday. haven't encountered any issues yet (w7 x64 w/ TRIM enabled).

SODIMM Sherpa
techvslife

[ Edited ]

NOTE: Corruption issues have been reported with 1711 on this board.  I would NOT update until more details are available.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-SSD-support-for-TRIM/td-p/2590/page/4

Megabyte Maverick
grb

yeah, I saw... but since the original firmware isn't up for download yet, I can't exactly revert. :smileyhappy:

Crucial: please put the original firmware up for download so the paranoid among us can downgrade!

Bit Baby
tree