What is my computer model?

by bpcrucial on ‎08-01-2011 02:45 PM - edited on ‎03-12-2013 04:42 PM by Moderator Moderator

Question

Answer

Make and model. It's easy if you're talking about your car — not so easy when you are talking about your computer. Sure, you know if you've got a desktop or laptop. And you know the manufacturer. But beyond that, model specifics can get confusing. When finding a compatible memory upgrade, knowing your exact model is important — here is how to figure it out.

Are you upgrading the computer you are working on right now?
That's easy. Use the Crucial System Scanner. This downloadable tool determines the memory in your computer and tells you what your computer needs. Don't worry — no spyware or anything like that. The tool just looks at the technical, boring details of your system motherboard.

Start here.

How does it work? Watch this video.

Are you upgrading a different computer?
You can use the Crucial Memory Advisor. In just three clicks, we can tell you what memory upgrades are available for your system. But, you will need to know the make and exact model.

If you're using a Windows-based system, the model will be specified on the label, a small sticker on the back or

side of your desktop system, or the bottom of your laptop.

If you can't find the label, you can find model information this way.

Start ==> My Computer ==> Right click ==> Properties.

Or for more detailed info go here:

Start ==> Run ==> Dxdiag

You'll see "System Model" — that is the specific model of your computer and the information you'll need to use the Crucial Memory Advisor.

On a Mac system, you can find your system by first going to the Apple icon on the top left.

About this Mac ==> More info

Once you've determined the model, use the dropdown menu on the Crucial Memory Advisor to determine compatible upgrades.

-------------------------------

For more information on DRAM, go to our Knowledge Base library or our news and information page. For additional information on Crucial DRAM products, go to our product pages or support center.  We have lots of videos for you to watch on our YouTube Channel. And if you’re ready to take the plunge, use the Crucial Memory Advisor or the Crucial System Scanner.