rsh
Bit Baby
rsh

Acer 532h 2GB upgrade

Just bought and received a 2GB chip from Crucial that was advertised as an upgrade for the 532h netbook but there is no info on Acer's website or in the manual how to do it. Any idea what to unscrew, etc? Can't even find a link anywhere with how to info.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Crucial_Guru

Re: Acer 532h 2GB upgrade

Hello,

In searching online to try to help you out, I was not able to find any video or manual either for the installation steps for memory on this system.  The only video I could find was for the original Aspire One which I am not sure is the same as your 532h.  You can view this video at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EfzckyZMTk

Your best bet for this would be to contact Acer directly to see if they can provide a manual for this.  Here is a link to Acer's support page:

http://support.acer.com/

From here you can e-mail Acer directly to ask for a manual for upgrading the memory.

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
jimbolito

Hello,

I just want to know if you successfully replaced the 1 GB RAM for the 2 GB RAM on the ACER 532h netbook.  I just bought a new ACER 532h-2964 and want to replace the RAM for a 2 GB but after calling ACER, they told me that they do not recommend this in terms of warranty but never received an answer if the netbook was or not capable of 2 GB...

Please, let me know your experience and if the system recognized the 2 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jaime.

Kilobyte Kid
x1n933k

[ Edited ]
in reply to jimbolito

Acer has updated their web site listening for the 532H, it outlines 1GB of Ram as maximum.

EDIT: Read my post below... 

Kilobyte Kid
x1n933k

in reply to x1n933k

Hello Everyone--

I just wanted to update some progress I had with my 532H-2242.

After some heavy digging I decided just to roll back my BIOS to 1.05. This is a brand new AO532H, it came with BIOS rev 1.15. 

I installed the Memory I received from Crucial and everything is working okay. Win7 Starter is showing 2GB. I'm going to start testing the memory with Ubuntu and if I have any issues I'll update this forum.

Keep in mind, Acer offers the BIOS rev 1.05 from their web site, however this may VOID your warranty, and until Crucial's tech guys give you the thumbs up, I wouldn't advise it. They've been really helpful and it's a shame Acer is trying to limit the RAM, one can only hope it is for sale purposes and not a underlying hardware issue.

[J] 

Crucial_Guru

in reply to x1n933k

Hello x1n933k,

Just out of curiosity, before rolling back the BIOS, did you have issues with the 2GB upgrade?

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
x1n933k

in reply to Crucial_Guru

EDIT: Sorry I jumped the gun with my original post.

I had a long story posted here on my adventure with the 532h, I'm not sure if it is worth mentioning anymore.

I had no success on my first 532h-2242 and returned it, it wouldn't boot after I installed the 2gb stick. This may have been my fault.

After hearing a rumor that Acer crippled the 532H with any rev above 1.05 and noting that their US web site lists the max ram as 1GB. On that rumor I took my exchanged 532h and put the BIOS back to 1.05. Installed the Ram and everything worked fine.

I have since found out how to flash the bios in emergency so I decided to update the BIOS through Windows to rev 1.20. I am now typing on a AO532h-2242 with a crucial upgrade of 2gb. Everything worked okay and I didn't experience the same problem as my first 532h

It's unfortunate that Acer doesn't give model specific information, since there are more than a few builds of the 532h. Anyone reading this with a 532h can consider my story a success (although bumpy), and hopefully there will be more transparency from Acer about what can be done with their products. Crucial was really helpful and I am really impressed with their site and service.

[J]

Bit Baby
sonnypsych

in reply to x1n933k

your posting is the first clue i have found for why no 2gb chip has worked (I have tried 3 different ones)  I have the acer 532h2964.  Crucial just advised to get acers help with upgrading bios, but that went nowhere. Acer is no help at all.  When I bought the computer, it was advertised as upgradable to 2gb, but now they say that it supports only 1gb.  Your find that rolling back the Bios to the 1.05 was a revelation. 

Do you know of where i could to get complete instructions for doing that, as I am not tech savvy.  I also liked what yo said about flashin the bios, but have no idea what that is.  your help is appreciated. 

fjb
Kilobyte Kid
fjb

[ Edited ]
in reply to sonnypsych

The zip file with the 1.05 bios form support.acer.com contains everything you need

the readme files reads as follows>:

[SOP]
1. DOS flash: Please reboot system to pure Dos mode. Then, execute "FLASH.BAT" batch file to update bios under pure Dos mode.
2. Windows flash: Please click "NAV50105.exe" to update bios.

I tried the windows flas by executing NAV50105.exe from a zip drive. It brings up a windows programs that show current bios verson (1.12 for me) and the version you will change to.

After I completed the bios rollback to 1.05 my 2gb card was still not recognized.

let me know if youn have more luck

fjb
Kilobyte Kid
fjb

in reply to x1n933k
are you running windows 7 starter? will the 1.20 bios work on 7 Starter, the readme file states: Windows x86/x64: Run "NAV50119.exe" to flash BIOS in Windows x86/x64 environments. Thanks for your posts