Bit Baby
need2know
Accepted Solution

Advent 7048 memory??

Hi there
Hope you are able to guide me to purchase correct memory module.
My sister (who lives 250 miles away) has the following laptop:

Advent 7048 Intel Pentium 4
Model Mid2020
o/s - Windows xp home

I know it has 512mb memory and I said I would purchase more memory and fit it next time I saw her, she will not open up the laptop herself.
The spec says it can take 1gb, and it has 2 memory slots.
I have looked on the Crucial website, but it does not show this particular model number.

Question:

As I am unable to know whats inside,is the existing 512mb memory on 2 slots at present (2x256mb) ?

If their is only one slot being used - 512mb, then I could just purchase another 512mb to bring it up to maximum 1gb?

If both slots are being used by 2x 256mb, do I need to split the 1gb and purchase 2x 512mb, or can I use one slot of 1gb?

Sorry if it sounds confusing, but I know what I mean, hope you do too !!

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

Re: Advent 7048 memory??

in reply to need2know

No way to know what is in there without actually looking, or having her send you a system info report.

If it has two slots and can take 1GB, then yes you could either install 2x512MB or possibly 1GB by itself.   You may need to get the manual though to check, as it may not accept a 1GB module so I'd check first

Crucial
Crucial_Dude

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Hello,

As said above, the only way to know the current configuration is to either open the system, or run some sort of scan program to tell you the current configuration.  You can try running the Crucial System scanner which can be found at the following link:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

That being said, at best guess, I'd say to max the system out at 1GB, you need to install 2 x 512MB modules.  Please visit the following link for the part I'd recommend trying:

US Store

UK Store

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
need2know

in reply to Crucial_Dude

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Thank you for your help, got her to do  a crucial scan, it has 2x256mb at present, so will take your advice and even it up with 2 x 512mb.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to need2know

Nice to see you were able to find out what was installed, good luck with the upgrade and let us know how you get along!

Bit Baby
advent7048user

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Hi,

I'm trying to breathe new life into one of these but am a little perplexed at the moment. I know that it has 512mb of memory

but can only find one slot on the bottom with a 256mb module in it. So there must be another slot with 256mb in it somewhere. I suspect it might be under the keyboard somewhere. Before I start trying to dismantle it does anyone know for certain. (It's basically a re-badged Medion mid-2020 if that helps).

Crucial_maulmod

in reply to advent7048user

Hello,

Thanks for your message.  I can confirm that your laptop definitely has two slots and can support up to 1GB (512MB in each) of DDR memory.  If there is only one slot on the bottom, then generally the other is hidden under the keyboard but should still be accessible.  I have searched online and even found a manual but I unfortunately can't find specific instructions to confirm this and guide you through it!  You could try contacting the manufacturer for further advice.  Here is the link to the compatible 512MB part:

UK Store

EU Store

US Store

I'm sorry I can't provide more specific information but if you have any other questions just let us know.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service