Kilobyte Kid
kerplanda

Crucial Scanner crashed my netbook

So, after discovering the crucial scanner, I decided to try it out on all the computers in my house. It was working great so far, even on my old desktop, but then I installed it on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook and things went south. The download went fine and I was able to get it to the screen where it says "scanning, your report will be availble soon," but after a few minutes on that page the entire screen froze! I couldn't move the mouse, I couldn't open the task manager, nothing!

So I hit the power button and started the whole system back up again. I went back into the scanner and started it over. This time it stayed on the "scanning" screen for a significant amount of time before once again the whole thing froze and I had to manually shut it down.

What is going on here?

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Crucial Scanner crashed my netbook

Hi kerplanda,

First of all I would like to say sorry for the problems you have had running the system scanner on this system.  It sounds like your system is crashing due to the amount of low memory you have.

If you have a very low amount of memory it can slow down or crash the system when you are trying to run a program.  Even though the system scanner uses a very low amount of memory when scanning it seems like it's just too much for your system to handle.

There are a couple of variations of the Mini 10 system.  The Mini 10 (1010) which can take a total of 1GB of memory and cannot be upgraded and then the other models which can take up to 2GB in total.

On the underside of your laptop there will be a sticker which should tell you what version you have.  If it's anything other than the 1010 you will be able to upgrade to 2GB of memory using this memory module HERE.

Please don't hesitate to get back to me if you have any questions.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
kerplanda

Thanks for the reply, but I really don't think it's a lack of memory that was causing my issue. I only had the two tabs open in firefox and I had no other programs running at the time- so that just doesn't seem likely.

As for which netbook I have, the bottom just says Inspiron Mini 10- nothing else. I've read elsewhere about the 1010 and 1012, but mine just doesn't seem to be either of those models....

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Hi kerplanda,

Do you happen to see a service tag number on the bottom of the netbook? If we have a service tag number we may be able to pull up a bit more information. Thank you in advance.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Kilobyte Kid
kerplanda

Ok- its a bit rubbed off but it looks like the service tag number is F287QK1 and then there is an express service code which is 32786465329
Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi kerplanda,

Thank you for providing your service tag information.  I looked this up on the Dell website using their service tag location tool but unfortunately it does not give anymore information other than it being an Inspiron Mini 10.

As there are a few different variations of this model we would need more information about your current memory module.  If you could open up the back of your system and tell us what memory module is currently installed we would be able to tell if it's the DDR2 or DDR3 version.

The information we need would be printed on a sticker on the side of the memory module and will say something like "PC2-5300 or PC3-1600" if you are not sure of what to provide please just copy all the details and we can look in to it.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK