Kilobyte Kid
Xandra

Increased RAM not working for FX530

[ Edited ]

This will be my first memory upgrade, so I just want to verify whether or not I have ordered the correct item (offsite).

I understand that external part #s differ from the actual module base part number.  However, can someone tell me if part # CT613174 and CT2KIT25664AA667 are the same modules or, at the least, interchangeable?  I wish I had known about your System Scanner tool first.

Thank you.

*4.26.14 new post below

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: Just looking for verification

in reply to Xandra

Hi Xandra,

Thank you for contacting us today. CT613174  is CT2KIT25664AA667 for the Gateway FX530 Series. These parts will be completely compatible and interchangeable with each other. Please let me know if you have any other questions.  

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
Xandra

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Thank you for the confirmation.  Today I received the CT2KIT25664AA667 cards recommended by the Crucial System Scanner.  I am now concerned about correct placement.  My Gateway FX530XM has 4 slots in total, in groups of 2 banks.  Initially, I started with one card in the bank I removed the old DRAM from and then inserted the second card in the adjoining slot (leaving the second bank group empty).  My computer started to boot but gave me a message stating the memory in slots A & B were not equal.

I opened the unit again and noticed the first bank group has a labelling of DIMM A and the second bank group has a labelling of DIMM B.  So I thought perhaps one card should be in an A slot and the other in a B slot.  The system did not boot at all.  Not a good idea.

Additionally, in trying to research this I came across suggestions to update system BIOS before installing new RAM.  I did not update my sytem's BIOS but Gateway does have a BIOS download (but it does not say anything about an update).  I cannot find anything on their website showing how to configure sets of DRAM though.

Do you have a suggestion for proper placement of the memory cards?  And, should I update my BIOS first?

Thanks, again!

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to Xandra

Hi Xandra,

Each channel of memory should be kept together. I would keep all the new memory in the slots that correspond with one another. I would recommend verifying that both memory modules are installed correctly. It can take a lot of pressure to make sure that these modules are installed completely. 

A BIOS update might be a good idea. It appears that your system was manufactured in 2006. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.  

Kilobyte Kid
Xandra

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_YogiH

First, YogiH, thank you for your help.  I appreciate the time you have taken to offer assistance.

I updated my system's BIOS successfully and set about installing the new RAM again.  My PC wouldn't boot at all.  I then tried each card separately.  The first card made my PC sound high-strung.  That sound that the PC makes when it first starts and everything kicks on before settling down to the low hum.. my PC was at that constant full-burst stage.  It did not settle down; it sounded like a prop plane running.  The 2nd card came with normal start-up sounds (a burst out of the gate followed by the settled low hum) but my PC would not start up.  In both cases I didn't have anything beyond a black screen: no words of any kind i.e. greeting, error, messages, etc.

Consequently, I put the original 1G card back in.  Curiously, on start-up I received a message telling me the system detected a memory decrease, followed by a second message telling me the firmware detected a memory decrease.  It is a little frustrating knowing the memory could be detected by my system but not used/accepted.  Other than that, my system is working as usual. 

I'm not ready to give up yet but my purpose for this upgrade was to set up my PC for a 64-bit OS.  If I can't get my PC to recognize the 4GB DRAM I won't be able to use the OS, and the window is closing on how much time I have left to exchange this OS for a 32-bit.  As I said, I appreciate the assistance you have given me.  Greatly.  If you have any other advice I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you

**I should have included the following:

I am currently running Windows XP Media.  I know that will only recognize so much RAM, but it should recognize at least one card's worth of RAM.  Of course, it is a 32-bit OS, I am upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.. hence the need for more RAM.  (and just to have more)

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to Xandra

Hi Xandra,

I am really sorry that you are having issues with this RAM. I think at this point it might be best for you to contact us directly using the information in my signature. It may be that we will need to set up a replacement for you. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.