Bit Baby
eric2143

MSI G41M-P33 Combo DDR3 Memory Compatibility

MSI Tech support says I have to use slower DDR3 ram in this unusual DDR2-DDR3 board.  I purchased Crucial (and a competitors) locally at Microcenter. All ram was new, not customer returns or refurbished.

I tried the following sets, both in pairs and one at a time with bios version 32.12, then their latest bios 32.15, getting the same results.  DDR2 and DDR3 was not mixed at any time.

Processor: Core 2 Duo e8400, no overclocking of ram or cpu, setup default bios settings, EVGA PCI-X 8400 series video card, 500 watt ATX Power Supply.

Crucial Ballistic Sport BG112P9.LV PC12800 1600Mhz 2 x 4gb, and 1 x 4 gb 1.5v, no post , 3 long beeps

Kingston Blue KHX1333C9D3B1K2 PC1066 1333 Mhz, 2 x 4gb, and 1 x 4 gb 1.5v, 3 long beeps

MSI responded and said to use PC3-8500 1.5 volts (not listed on the crucial website in this memory recommended for this system board), even though their manual says it will accept PC1066.

Interestingly, I had some leftover Crucial unbuffered ECC ram, P/N:

Crucial CT2CP51272BD160B Workstation Ram with ECC PC3 12800 1.35v

This memory posted successfully, and passed with 12 hours testing of MemTest Plus, Windows 7 comes up fine.  The Intel G41 chipset states ecc memory is not supported.

Your competitor's FAQ states (I can reply with the competitor's url, if that's permitted), I have bolded the interesting part:

ECC (Error Correcting Code) memory includes an additional memory chip which allows the motherboard to detect and correct one bit errors. This increases data reliability and can help identify a failing memory module. All registered and fully buffered memory modules also include ECC functionality. But there is also ECC unbuffered memory that is usually used in higher end workstation computers. In some cases, you can use ECC unbuffered memory in a computer that takes unbuffered memory but does not have ECC functionality. It just will not use this feature of the memory.

So I am looking for feedback, on whether or not leaving the Crucial ECC memory in this board is a wise idea (or not). 

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: MSI G41M-P33 Combo DDR3 Memory Compatibility

in reply to eric2143

Hi eric2143,

Thank you for contacting us today. It looks like the issue with installing the Ballistix RAM with your system is due to compatibility. We do not list that memory upgrade as being compatible with your system.  A list of available upgrades can be found here.  It doesn't appear that your system is compatible with ECC, either. It looks like it may just be luck that that upgrade has worked for you so far. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service