Kilobyte Kid
atanu_banerjee

Memory Result Interpretation please

Hi -

I upgraded Dell 1545 Memory with Crucial 8 GB Kit(4 GBx2) DDR2 800 MHz (PC2-6400) CL6 SODIMM 200-PIN, purchased from eBay and following is the result. I am curious to know whether this is expected, with such high latency rate ?

MaxxMEM2_f4637.jpg

When I ran Crucial Memory Scan it shows: [http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=3E9CBA9731D926C3]

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB 
Currently Installed Memory: 8GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots:  0

Could you plese tell, is there any mismatch in frequencies between RAM modules supplied to me, in which case I'll return or is this in expectation - do appreciate very much ?

Thank you.

Atanu 

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Memory Result Interpretation please

in reply to atanu_banerjee

HI Atanu,

I have had a look at the benchmark you have provided and at the top it states that your memory is running at the advertised 6-6-6-18 for that memory module.

Those figures look perfectly fine for the memory, I have also noticed that you are running 8GB of RAM with a 32bit version of Windows.  As your version of Windows is 32bit your system will only see and use between 3-3.5GB of memory, this is due to the limitation of the operating system.

The memory speed is fine and perfect for that type of memory but you will be limited by capacity due to the 32bit version of Windows.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
atanu_banerjee

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi -

Thank you. Whether 32 or 64-bit, that's not issue here, eventually I'll upgrade to WIN 7 64-bit.

Could you please confirm why Crucial Scan results in different Memory Type - one slot PC2-6400 and the other one PC2-5300 ?

Obviously difference in frequency - the first with 400MHz front-side bus (800MT/s data transfer rate) and second one with 333 MHz (667MT/s data transfer rate), as I interpret. Kindly rectify me, if wrong. Also could you please recommend any other Memory Scan Test (other than Crucial) which would publish Memory Type on both slots, not just the speed, bcoz Crucial Support today answered this same question saying:

Quote:

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry to see that our scanner is reporting one module as PC2-6400 and one is PC2-5300 but I suspect this is wrong. Whilst the scanner can pick up the speed of memory it is more designed to pick up the make and model of computer so this result may not be accurate.

Thank you very much.

Atanu

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to atanu_banerjee

Hi atanu,

I have spoke to the person who sent you the email today and they have recommended a program called CPU-Z.  The details should be in the email you have been sent, this program will show you exactly what speed your current memory is running at.

The system scanner is designed to pick up details about your system, in some rare occasions it may not show the exact memory speed of the memory installed.   So I would follow the instructions that James sent to you today by email and that will show you the correct speed of your memory.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service