Memory Leak Geek
novice-chuck

Memory Upgrade Problems for a Gateway SX2800-03 Desktop

[ Edited ]

My system is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. It has 4 2GB memory slots, with currently 2 slots full (4GB).  Everything I read says it can handle 8GB including Crucial's scan, so I am trying to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB. My Mother Board is a DIG43L/aGREYHOUND which from Google seems to indicate it was designed for Acer. My BIOS is AMI P01-A3, 5/26/2009.  My SMBIOS is Version 2.6

My Problem Background - Via Crucial's scan tool (Scan ID 9BC9EB6B31D926C3) they tell me their part# CT1014011 or CT1494086 are guaranteed compatible with my system.  On the internet I found a Crucial Kit (CT2KIT25664BA1067) (part # MT8JTF25664AZ-1G1D1 1050)which has the same specs(as far as I know) as the Crucial part #s above. To save money I bought it from Amazon. When I loaded the 2 memory cards, and powered my system up, all I got was a loud continuous beep, and a system that would not boot up. I couldn't even shut it off normally, so I had no choice except to shut off power to it.

My Contacts with Crucial Tech support - My return Email from Kicki suggested that I try loading the new modules one at a time, by itself, and then check to see if my system would boot.  Here is what I did, and the result:

1. I took out 1 of my existing modules, and tried to power up with the remaining one, it booted up perfectly.

2. I took out the remaining original module that booted up perfectly, and put 1 of the kit modules in that exact same slot.  The result - The long continuous beep, and no boot up.

3. I took out that kit module, and loaded the remaining kit module in that same slot. Result - Long beep and no boot

4. With both of my original modules out, I put both of the new kit modules in and tried again. Result - Long beep and no power up.

5. Took the 2 kit modules out, put my 2 original modules in, and the system booted up perfectly.

Can Anyone Help?

Can anyone advise as to what my problem is, and how to solve it? My guts say there is something about the kit modules that my system just doesn't like, but I don't what that something is, or how to get around it.  I have a limited amount of time to return the kit to Amazon for a refund. My guts also tell me if I had bought directly from Crucial I would have the exact same problem.  Any help would be very greatly appreciated.  As my login suggests, I really am a novice at all of this, so the more one could keep a response to simple basics would help.

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

Re: Memory Upgrade Problems for a Gateway SX2800-03 Desktop

I am a bit unclear on your testing, sorry it's just how you worded things.   Can you please reword that for me, your 1-5 testing description, using old module for the original memory and new module for the new set.  Also please describe or mention the memory slot number used for each step too if it was different, thanks!

Just want to be sure how exactly you tested and with which modules.

Memory Leak Geek
novice-chuck

[ Edited ]

I appreciate your willingness to help. First, there are 4 2GB slots. Two are colored in black plastic, and two in blue plastic.  The slots colored black I will call slots 1 and 3. The two in blue I will call 2 and 4.  On the board the slot closest to the center of the board is black (which I call slot 1), next is a blue slot, then another black colored slot, and the slot on the other end of the four is blue.  Thus they alternate.  My old modules were in the two black slots (slots 1 and 3).  My first test was to take one of my old modules out of slot 3 (its original slot), and to try to power up my computer with only one of my old 2GB modules in slot 1, namely the inner most slot, and the one it was originally in.  The computer powered up fine. The next two tests, both done with the new modules, were both done in slot 1 because I obviously knew one of my old modules, by itself in that slot, powered up fine.  I then took my remaining old module out of slot 1 (so now neither of my old modules are in the computer), and I installed one of the two new modules in that same slot 1, with no chip in slots 2,3 or 4.  The computer would not power up.  I then took that new module out of slot 1, and put the second new module from the kit in slot 1 (again all by itself with nothing in slots 2, 3 or 4), and tried to power up again.  Again, the computer would not power up.  For my last test I put the two new modules in slots 1 and 2 (with nothing in slots 3 or 4) and again tried to power up. Again, the computer would not boot.  I suppose the one other test I could have done is put the two new modules in the exact same two slots (namely 1 and 3) that my original old modules were in (with nothing in slots 2 and 4).  I just did that, and once again all I get is a long continuous beep, and a system that will not boot up. I am really fearful of continuing to play this in and out test game because I'm afraid of eventually damaging either the chips or my mother board, but I did want to comply with what the Crucial tech asked me to try.

My only other two observations are that (1) On my mother board I notice there is larger space between slots 3 and 4 than there is between slots 1 and 2, or between slots 3 and 4.  Since I have read that my computer has two banks of two slots, I assume this layout means slots 1 and 2 are one bank, and 3 and 4 are the second bank.  Second, I notice that my original chips have chips on both sides of their individual chip boards, while on the Crucial chips all the chips are on just one side of the board.  I assume this means nothing other than a manufacturers preference on how to manufacture the chip.

I hope this explanation helps clarify what I originally put in my post.  Again, I appreciate your trying to help.

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your clarifications, it's much more clear to me know,!!

Slots 1+3 would be what you should use then, for one or two modules only.   Since neither of the new sticks work in either of those slots by themselves or together (Obviously isn't going to work if singles fail), then this kit is either incompatible with your board, or the current BIOS.   Or is faulty, which it's not very likely at all that both new sticks would be faulty, so it's probably not compatible or you need to update your BIOS and try again if you have not done that already.

Modules on both sides vs single sides tells the density of the chips used.   Have you updated the BIOS to the latest?   if not please try that now with the old modules, and then test the new ones by themselves again in slots 1+3

Since your model was not found on the scanner you may want to contact Crucial directly to ask about compatiblity with the kit you bought.   The CT numbers you mention look to be compatible parts listed for Gateway systems, which does use the board you mentioned, so it could just be a BIOS update is all you need.

Memory Leak Geek
novice-chuck

[ Edited ]

Many thanks for your help. Though I'm truly a novice at this game, I did suspect an out of date BIOS was my problem. My concern with a BIOS upgrade is where to find the upgrade I need.  The mother board I have, from what is printed on it, is a DIG43L/aGREYHOUND (48.3AJ01.011) , which the mother board itself says in made in China, and from the web brousing I have done appears to be made for Acer computers rather than my Gateway SX2800-03. Can you help me one final time by possibly recommending a reputable web site (or somewhere) to go to  help me identify and get the BIOS upgrade I need? From all I have read on the Internet Acer is not a good company to go to for help with any kind of technical problem, and I'm not really sure if they are even the right company to go to anyway.

Kilobyte Kid
hsnyder

I don't know why the Amazon memory didn't work but I would send it back and buy the Crucial memory for 2 reasons. 1. You want to max out your PC memory so I'd go with what Crucial garuanties will work.

2. Amazons doesn't work for you this time. Sam's Club might not either.

I read where you can upgrade to 8gig of memory at 2 places, and 1 place says 4gig is the max. It doesn't look like there is a bios upgrade for your Gateway at this time. 

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

novice-chuck wrote:

Many thanks for your help. Though I'm truly a novice at this game, I did suspect an out of date BIOS was my problem. My concern with a BIOS upgrade is where to find the upgrade I need.  The mother board I have, from what is printed on it, is a DIG43L/aGREYHOUND (48.3AJ01.011) , which the mother board itself says in made in China, and from the web brousing I have done appears to be made for Acer computers rather than my Gateway SX2800-03. Can you help me one final time by possibly recommending a reputable web site (or somewhere) to go to  help me identify and get the BIOS upgrade I need? From all I have read on the Internet Acer is not a good company to go to for help with any kind of technical problem, and I'm not really sure if they are even the right company to go to anyway.

It would be the first thing I would have done when I found the memory to not work, honestly.    Here is the latest BIOS that I can find for that board.

SX2800 BIOS vP01-B1
Date: 3/9/2010

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=24320&dscr=Gateway%20SX2800%20BIOS%20vP01-...

There may be a newer BIOS from Acer, but I wasn't sure exactly what system you have and how comfortable you would be with crossflashing if it is gateway, to an Acer BIOS.

And actually, I just looked and the latest for the Acer system is the exact same BIOS anyway, so you would be good to go either way

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=1147

What 'Box" or system is this actually built around anyhow?

Memory Leak Geek
novice-chuck

Again, my sincere thanks for your continued interest. Realize I am a rookie at all of this, but from your question about what box/sytem it's built around I assume you mean processor.  My Gateway has an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200/ 2.33 GHz processor.  It says it is/has Quad-Core multi-Core processor technology with a 64-bit processor.  It has 4MB of L2 cache, and the mainboard uses an Intel G43 express chipset type, and says its data bus speed is 1333 MHz.  I hope this is what you were asking. 

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

Anytime, I'm here to help when I can!

Sorry, no I just meant if it was a Gateway or Acer tower is all.   You just said Gateway, and I see the Title says that too, so sorry for my confusion about that.

So you'll want to flash the BIOS from the Gateway link I posted above, good luck!   Do not flash if it is storming in your area.

Memory Leak Geek
novice-chuck

Please if you would help me one more time. 

1. First, knowing this could be big time trouble, I tried to create "recovery discs", but Gateway has its our crummy backup disc system, and it wouldn't let me burn backup disks even though I know my CD/DVD drive works perfectly.  Thus I'm flying blind if anything goes wrong with the BIOS flash.  However, that's not where I want help.

I did the download, and here is what I see in sequence concerning files;

1. I see a folder "gateway_sx2800_p01_b1"  which says compressed zipped folder

2. When I double click on it I seea folder "p01_b1"

3. When I double click on it I see 5 lines, namely:

a. a folder named "bios_p01-b1_dos"  which just says it is a file folder

b. a folder named  "auto_flash_bios_sop"  which is an Adobe read file

c. a folder named "bios_p01-b1_dos" which says it is a compressed zipped folder

d. a folder named "dosflash utility sop_p01-b1" which is an Adobe read file

e. a folder named "p01-b1" which says it is an application

4.  When I double clicked on the "bios_p01-b1_dos" compressed zipped folder I see a folder named "dos"

5.  When I clicked on the "dos" folder what I see is

a. A symbol that says "afudos"

b. A pdf symbol that says "dosflash utility sop_p01-b1"

c. a symbol that looks like 2 gears that simply says "p01-b1"

d. a symbol that looks like a sheet that  says "p01-b1.rom"

I did open the "auto_flash_bios_sop" Adobe file which simply says "Execute the p01-a1.exe by run as administrator"

I assume that's just an example because I see no such file in the above.  For those who have done this before I assume the above is second nature, but for a guy like me who has never seen it, and with no real instructions from Gateway as to which folder/file to go to, and which one to execute, this is frightening.  I don't want to lose my whole computer, so, if you don't mind

Can you direct me where to go, what to execute in what sequence, and what to expect so I don't screw up my system.