Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

Re: Memory Upgrade Problems for a Gateway SX2800-03 Desktop

[ Edited ]
in reply to novice-chuck

No problem!

Do you have a spare hard drive you could use to store a backup on, or one in another system you could connect as a secondary spare?   If so you can make a complete backup of the C drive (And or any Gateway Recovery Partitions) with this free program.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

As for the rest, yes I can help for sure.   Let me grab the file if you are reading this now, then I'll edit in what you should do.

*Edit*

I'll try later, but just in case can you please upload the main initial file you downloaded for me.  Thanks, neither the Acer nor Gateway site is loading for me tonight, could just be me?

Maybe upload here, or another host if you like, thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/

From what it sounds like, you'll be flashing in DOS and those files are just informational and the programs you need to flash the BIOS with, and the actual BIOS.   I'll help explain it all in more detail once I have the file.

Memory Leak Geek
novice-chuck

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Once again, many thanks for sticking with me.  I know dealing with a novice takes patience.  I tried to take every reply I sent back to you and put them back to back in a Microsoft Word file.  I then went to Mediafire and uploaded the file I named Gateway 2800-3 memory problem.docx and set it up (if I did it right) to share.  After I stumbled through it I went back and was able to drag it back and look at it.  I hope I did it correctly enough so that you can get to it.  Just for info I did not create an account on Mediafire.  I will go ahead and hook up my external Western Digital drive to my Gateway 2800-3 desktop and make a complete copy of my C drive as you suggested.  I do very sincerely appreciate all your help. I truly am a novice, and everything I'm doing, with your help, is new to me. Let me know if you got my file on mediafire.   I still don't know fully how the forum works, and what you can see and access, and what you cannot.

When I have your instructions back, I probably will have to wait at least a couple of days to try to do the BIOS flash because we here in Reno are going through a whole series of storms.  Power to our house has been knocked out in each of the last 2 days, which is the first time that has happened in 25 years.  Thanks again.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to novice-chuck

Haha, no worries man, I'm always happy to help!

I needed the link to the file you uploaded, otherwise I can't download it, and you didn't post any link?

Hopefully I can download from Gateway or Acer now, if so I'll check and give you further info on how you need to do this.   If I can't download from there site still, you will need to upload the BIOS zip file for me again, but this time copy the URL for the download and post here so I can download it.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]
in reply to lsdmeasasp

OK, I am downloading the file now from Gateway as it's working for me today!

So I will update this post shortly if you are reading this now.

*Edit*

OK, this will be very easy for you!   It can be done in windows.

Unzip the initial downloaded file, so then you have a P01-B1 folder.   Inside that you will find several files and a folder, the Auto_Flash_BIOS_SOP.pdf will show you exactly how to update in windows.   It is easy, just double click the P01-B1.exe file and the flash will happen, then reboot once it is finished and you will be done.  Right click it and run as administrator if you are using Windows 7 or Vista.

Once the BIOS flash starts a DOS window will appear and continue with the update, once it is finished it will say “Program ended normally" then you can close that window and reboot the system.  It may restart itself once finished according to the guide, but if not once you see it says that it finished normally, then go ahead and reboot

Memory Leak Geek
novice-chuck

in reply to lsdmeasasp

I wanted you and all who read this to know my problem has now been solved,  and my Gateway SX2800-03 desktop is now upgraded from 4GB to 8GB of RAM.  First, your instructions on how to do a BIOS flash worked perfectly.  Second, my direct contact with a guy named Joe in Crucial's tech department revealed that the crucial kit I bought on the internet was probably out of date for my system.  The kit I bought directly from Crucial per Joe's recommendation was installed in less than 15 minutes, and my system booted up with a full 8GB of RAM.

My thanks and kudos to you, the Crucial tech support team, and all the folks from the Crucial forum audience who took an interest in helping me to solve my problem.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to novice-chuck

Thanks for posting your update!  

And I'm glad to hear you were able to get the upgrade working finally even though there was some hassles along the way.

Post back anytime if you ever need anymore help with anything!

Kilobyte Kid
nrubino

in reply to lsdmeasasp

I know this is an older post but I have recently purchased the "Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules CT2CP25664BA1339" at the following link through amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R4BT1M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same computer as the op has (sx2800-03).  I installed the two sticks into the machine and am getting the same continuous beep as the op was getting when he installed his new ram.

I tried updating the bios but am still receiving this beep.  Is there any other suggestions or help you guys can provide?  Is there another update to the bios i could try?  

Thanks,

Nick

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to novice-chuck

Hi nrubino,

Thank you for contacting us today. It appears that your system requires a specific density of DDR3. You require high density memory module. This part number is specified by CT2KIT25664BA1339A or CT1494086 on our site. Unfortunately, there is no way your system will run with the low density memory modules. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
nrubino

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Thank you!  Can you point me to a type of memory that will work with my machine?

Thanks,

Nick

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to nrubino

Hi Nick,

Yes, you would need to upgrade using part CT2KIT25664BA1339A or CT1494086. Thanks!

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service