Kilobyte Kid
Ramucansee

Missing 4 GB of Memory

Using a process of Elimination suggested, these are the results I tested on individual Memory with Individual Memory Channels or sockets.

- Starting with what I got with I had installed now, I assume that the Memory stick on DIMM #1 is - Good and obviously DIMM #1 socket is good too. [ indicated by Belarc advisor on the screenshot]

- Popped out the Memory Stick from DIMM #2, and snapped back the retaining clicks and Rebooted
>>> Booted well, and obviously shows 4 GB in System.

- Cleaned the gold contacts of the removed Memory stick from DIMM #2, and air blasted the memory channel as well. Reinstalled by making sure it is seated well [ the clips snapped back in place, when pressure is applied to the Memory stick ] - This step is obviously to eliminate the possibility that the Contacts or the channels are "dirty".
>>> Rebooted, Same result showing 4 GB.

- Nest, Pop out the Memory stick from DIMM #2 , making sure I made a indication on the Memory to identified it, not to mix up with the one on DIMM #!. Popped out the memory stick from DIMM #1 and installed it on DIMM #2, and snapped back the clicks on DIMM #1 and Rebooted.
>> Won't boot, Beeping noise heard. That elimiated the Memory stick that I removed is Good and I confirmed that in the Next step.

- Air blasted The Memory Channel, making no dust accumulated , and I installed the Original Memory stick that I cleaned from DIMM #2 , and installed it on DIMM #1. Rebooted well,and it still shows 4 GB in System.

Conclusion on Test : DIMM #2 is Bad.

Can I stick in a 8 GB RAM on DIMM #1, since DIMM #2 is NOT available?

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: Missing 4 GB of Memory

in reply to Ramucansee

Hi Ramucansee,

Thank you for contacting us today. What is the make and model of the system? There is a possibility you could just install an 8GB memory module in the working slot, but it really depends on the system. 

Thanks in advance for this information. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
Ramucansee

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_YogiH

DELL Inspiron 660. - Memory came with the System.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to Ramucansee

Thanks for the information. It appears that the system does have a slot max of 4GB  per slot. We do not recommend using a single 8GB of memory with this system, however, you may still try it and see. If you order directly with us we do have a 45 day return period on all our memory, so if the computer did not boot up, we would still return the memory. The 8GB memory module that matches all the specs can be found here. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service