fs
Kilobyte Kid
fs
Accepted Solution

Samsung RF 510-01 memory upgrade not working

Hello,

I bought two kits to upgrade two laptops samsung rf 510-01. I'm certain that this is the model of the laptops, so when I bought them, I manually selected the upgrade for this laptop. The purchased parts are two CT3324085. I tested them all in two different laptops and I could not get them to work. Windows does not boot, ubuntu throws a kernel panic, and a memtest fails on every address. So I believe that this memories are not compatible with my model (which I don't understand why, because it was suggested by crucial).

It is also weird that when I scan my system, crucial offers me a different part (yet acknowledging my machine as a rf510). Here is the scan: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=B36EBBC631D926C3

Any advice is appreciated.

I was thinking of getting a RMA and changing them for the other parts suggested, but I would like to be certain that they are compatible, because I am not in the US and paying for the shippment fees to my country is costly

Thanks!

Crucial_maulmod

Re: Samsung RF 510-01 memory upgrade not working

Hello fs,

Thanks for your post.  I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your upgrade.  The parts you have ordered should be compatible with your laptops and are essentially the same as those recommended by the Scanner tool.  We have a part numbering system that allows us to map specific parts to certain models to guarantee compatibility. 

You'll notice that the Scanner results are for several models; RF510/RF410/RF710 whereas the original part recommendation was just for the RF510-S01 so this is why the numbers may vary.  Although these parts have the same basic specification, they do differ in the density of the modules i.e. those recommended by the Scanner are low density and the others are high density.  Most systems, including the RF510, should accept both but sometimes you need one or the other. 

I would recommend trying all modules individually in each system, ensuring each time that they are fully seated in the slot, you can watch a video on this here and check if the memory is recognized by the BIOS.  If you still have the same problems, it would be best to exchange them for the low density parts.  You will find information on the RMA process at the links below:

UK

EU

US

I hope this helps but please let us know if you have any further questions.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
fs
Kilobyte Kid
fs

in reply to Crucial_maulmod

Thanks for the reply.

I still have a question. I forgot to say that BIOS recognizes the memory, either when each one is installed separately and when both are installed.

The question is about the bus and the memory speed. I could not figure out which is the speed of the part that I bought, and which is the maximum supported by my machine. Are they compatible?

Also, can I rest assured that if I change for a low density memory, it will work? My problem is that I have to pay for shipping fees outside US, so, I hope to avoid having to pay three times for shipping fees, and end up with the same amount of memory that I originally had (and less money on my wallet :smileyhappy:).

Thanks for the support. 

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Hi fs,

Thank you for contacting us again. The memory speed is 1333mhz and it does look like it is the largest speed that your system does support. It appears that the 1333 mhz speed is the only speed we sell that is compatible with your system. From the information you provided it does appear that if you switch to the low density memory your system will work. I completely understand not wanting to pay the shipping charge three times. Please contact us directly and we would be happy to set up this exchange for you.

UK

EU

US

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service