Bit Baby
Tropic_Lightnin
Accepted Solution

System not reading new memory modules

[ Edited ]

Hello not sure if this is an issue with my new RAM modules or my OS. I am slowly upgrading my old Dell Optiplex 740 for my son to play some MMO games on. It came with 1gb of ram stock, after adding a new GPU, I installed a 2gb stick of RAM. All was good my system read 3 gb of ram. After noticing a few slowdowns during gameplay I decided to add another stick of ram. I purchased the same Crucial 2gb stick and installed it. My system still reads 3gb of ram.  A system detection program i use to determine if this PC can run certain games also reads 3gb of ram. Ran the msconfig file and made sure MAXRAM box was unchecked, it was. Went into BIOS and it reads the two 2gb sticks and the 1gb stick for a 5gb total. My motherboard is still stock and it's specs say that it's four ram slots can hold, at ,most, 4 x 2gb of ram for an 8gb system total. But my OS is only reading 3gb of the 5gb installed. I have gone in and removed them one and a time and it read them all at their spec'd RAM total, 2gb/2gb/1gb. If I go two at a time no mater which 2gb stick i use partnered with the 1gb stick it reads 3gb. BUT if I try to use the two 2gb sticks it only reads 3gb

Crucial RAM purchased is:

2 sticks of 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 DIMM UNBUFFED   

CT25664AA800

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: System not reading new memory modules

in reply to Tropic_Lightnin

Hi Tropic_Lightnin,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems getting your system to pick up the full amount of memory.

It sounds like it's possibly a limitation with your operating system.  Do you know if you have a 32bit or a 64bit version of Windows?  A 32bit version of Windows will only see between 3-3.5GB of memory in total.

I have checked your computer model and you are correct this system can support 8GB in total but it does sound like it's being limited by the operating system.

To check if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 or Vista, you will need to:

- Click on the Start button
- Right click on Computer
- Select Properties from the drop down menu
- In the System Information page, next to System Type, it will tell you if it's 32-bit or 64-bit.

If you have any further questions then please don't hesitate to ask and we would be more than happy to help.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service