Bit Baby
freelancer1300

Toshiba Satellite - Windows 7 won't run after RAM upgrade

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505-144 running Windows 7 Home Premium, and bought the recommended 8GB RAM Kit (CT2330167). When I installed the new RAM, the system recognises it, but freezes before Windows starts running. I tried each sticks separately in either slot, and while the system recognises it, the computer won't get past the BIOS screen. 

However, when I use one of the old sticks (2GB) with either of the new ones, the computer runs fine, with WIndows 7 recognising the full 6GB.

Please advise on how to resolve this issue so I can use the full 8GB of RAM purchased.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Windows 7 won't run after RAM upgrade

in reply to freelancer1300

Hi freelancer1300,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory upgrade.

As we know each memory module works due to testing with the original memory it points to a compatibility issue.  Please make sure you have the most up to date BIOS for your system.

It would also be great if you could confirm the speed of your original memory.  This will be printed on the original module which will say something like "PC3-10600"

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
kroseman

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Windows 7 won't run after RAM upgrade

in reply to freelancer1300

I do not think your Crucial RAM is to blame.  I am researching this issue for myself right now for Gskill, and saw a very similar post on a Patriot forum (http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7902.html?s=4dbe7c8b3dbe1e03ead02e5cfe147427...

For myself, my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5057 running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I swapped our 2x2GB for 2x4 GB modules.  The BIOS recognizes it and I can enter setup.  However, Windows will not start.  The laptop freezes on a black scree with a white cursor line in the upper lefthand corner (just prior to what would be the Windows screen).

It also freezes when I have just 1 x 4Gb in.

However, if i put  4GB and a 2GB, Windows starts normally.

I have updated the BIOS to version 1.8 with no luck.  I also disabled legacy USB support (one tip mentioned online) with no luck.  One other tip suggested dropping HDD to be the second boot device, however, no luck there either.