Bit Baby
z400problem
Accepted Solution

Upgrading HP Z400 Workstation with 4 DIMM slots

I want to upgrade an HP Z400 workstation with 4 DIMM slots. It now has 3 HMT125U7BFR8C-H9 modules, giving 6 GB. This is a triple channel system, with two channels with one slot, and one channel with two slots. This image shows the memory architecture.

I believe that the best strategy would be to replace the three 2 GB DIMMs I have now with a matched set of three 4 GB DIMMs. However, the Crucial page which shows supported products for the Z400 with 4 DIMM slots only lists sets of two DIMMs. Who is right? Is it best to use sets of two or sets of three DIMMs?

The page for the Z400 with 6 DIMM slots lists sets of 3. Should I get one of those instead, and can I safely assume they are compatible with the Z400 with 4 DIMM slots?

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: Upgrading HP Z400 Workstation with 4 DIMM slots

in reply to z400problem

Hi z400problem,

Thanks for contacting us today. I pulled up your system and it doesn't appear that it runs in triple channel or even dual channel. From the user manual on HP's site it appears that it can handle any variety of memory. This can be found on PG. 13 here. However, the memory for the two systems is completely identical. If you feel more comfortable ordering a kit of three memory modules you may. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
z400problem

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

It is true that the workstation will function with various memory arrangements, but with the right arrangement it can function in triple channel mode and give better performance. The HP Z400 Memory Configuration and Optimization document shows how certain configurations are better in the version with 4 slots.  Another HP Z400 Workstation Memory configuration and optimization (June 2010) document tells about triple channel and shows how arrangements in 6 slot workstations.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

[ Edited ]
in reply to z400problem

Hi z400problem,

Thank you for the extra information. Because the memory is the same for both the 4 slot or 6 DIMM model, I would recommend going with the kit displayed on the 6 DIMM page. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service