Kilobyte Kid
283v8
Accepted Solution

Will not boot after installing new memory

[ Edited ]

Upgraded my HP a6300f Desktop from 2GB to 4GB Ram and cannot get it to boot up until I replace one of the 2GB Ram sticks back to 1GB Ram stick. Doesn't matter what Ram slot or which 1GB or 2GB stick combination. Both 2GB Ram sticks test O.K. with Diagnostis Test. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Thank  You.  http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5840/o5j6.jpg

*removed personal information*

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Will not boot after installing new memory

in reply to 283v8

Hi 283v8,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your memory upgrade.

I have had a look at this system and it can support 4GB in total, so we know it's not a problems with the amount of memory.  Can you please try each of the 2GB modules one at a time in the system?

This is the best way to check if there is a fault with one of the modules, if one works and the other does not we can arrange an exchange for you no problem at all. 

If both work on their own it would be great if you could confirm the part number as listed on the memory modules.  It will be printed on the side and will look something like "CT25664AA800.16FH"

If you do need to contact the customer service team there are links to the different regions within my signature.  Once we have the above information we would be more than happy to look in to this further for you.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
283v8

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Junket, I removed the 1GB Ram from the other slot and ran just the 2GB Ram stick. I tested both 2GB Ram sticks this way and neither one would boot up the computer. Both would get to the blue boot screen and then screen would go dark. I'm not a computer expert but it seems that the 1GB Ram stick is talking to the CPU but the 2GB sticks will not. Why does it show that I have 3GB Ram with the 1GB stick and 2GB stick in the slots and you can see that the computer is working faster but will not boot up with the 2GB sticks? What has me puzzled is with the 1GB sticks in the 2 slots everything works O.K. If I had a Motherboard problem shouldn't it show up with the 1GB sticks in the 2 slots? When I run System Diagnostics nothing shows up bad everything passes the tests! Both of my Crucial 2GB Ram sticks have part # CT25664AA800.C16FH. I have run the Crucial 2GB sticks with the System Diagnostics and they pass the tests. Thanks for your help.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to 283v8

Hi 283v8,

Thank you for your reply.

I think it could possibly be an issue with the speed of the new memory.  Memory speed is backwards compatible which means that it will automatically downclock in speed to match the slowest memory module.

It could be that your existing 1GB module is actually 667MHz and the new memory is 800MHz, when you put the new memory next to the original 1GB it downclocks it's speed to run at 667MHz allowing the system to detect the memory. 

There are a few different things we can suggest to resolve this issue.  Fist would be to check that you have the most up to date BIOS version for this system.  Alternatively if you ordered the memory direct from Crucial we can look at exchanging the memory for a slower speed.  This should resolve the issues you are having and allow the system to run normally.

You can arrange an exchange by contact the customer service team in your region, there are links to do this in my signature.  Please let me know how it goes and if you need any further help don't hesitate to contact me.

Bit Baby
MaxImumPayne

in reply to 283v8

It's because you're using a 32 bit operating system, 32 bit OSs can only use up to 3GB and sometimes 3.5GB of RAM so the only way to fix this is get a 64 bit OS and install it.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to MaxImumPayne

Hi MaxlmumPayne,

You are correct in saying that a 32bit operating system will limit the amount of memory your system will see.  The problems the original poster was having are different to this, his system is not actually booting with all the memory installed.

A 32bit operating system will still boot with 4GB of memory but it will limit the amount of available memory down to around 3.5GB.

Kilobyte Kid
283v8

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi Junket, I still have my 1GB sticks so I will install them. Thank You for all of your help. 283v8

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to 283v8

Hi 283v8,

Thanks for your reply and I'm more than happy to help.

Please keep me updated on how the testing is going and we can take it from there.  If you have any other questions at all in the meantime please don't hesitate to contact us and we would be more than happy to help.