Memory Leak Geek
shashamane

laptop will not boot up after upgrade of RAM

[ Edited ]

I know this must have been asked a thousand times but I either can't find an answer to this, or when I do I don't really understand about BIOs, so apologies and please show patience with me :smileywink:

I have an Evesham Voyager laptop and bought the recommended RAM from Crucial (2x2GB)  following a scan of my laptop on this site - http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=FD2278AA31D926C3  - although it did not recognise my machine it was able to make these recommendations.  I followed the step by step guide and all seemed straightforward but upon powering up there was a tiny whirr and then nothing but a black screen and silence. I waited a minute or two but nothing. Tried re-installing without success. Putting my orginal cards back in everything was fine and normal again. With the new cards all I had was a power light and battery charging light, nothing else.

I did read something about BIOS and getting pointers from the manufacturer but have no idea what these are and Evesham went into liquidation last year so there will be no help there.

Many thanks for any help or guidance, this is not an area I have much experience or confidence in :smileywink: so I apologise if this is an obvious question and I have missed an earlier answer.

Crucial_Katana

Re: laptop will not boot up after upgrade of RAM

Since the computer works again if you reinstall your old modules, please try both 1GB modules one at a time in both slots, with no other memory installed. This will tell us if you have a bad memory module or if it's a slot that is perhaps causing the issue. Each time, please ensure the modules are fully seated using the instructions below:

http://www.crucial.com/install/sodimm.aspx

Please also give us the full CT part numbers printed on the modules, as well as the outcome of the above, and we can proceed from there.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
shashamane

[ Edited ]

thank you for your reply, katana,

I have tried as you advised, with just the one memory module in the first slot (the upper one in my laptop) and the computer did actually boot up normally this time.  So, I closed down again and added the second module, but with this one inserted as well the laptop would not boot up at all, just a slight and short inner "whirr" and a power light when I switched on.

I have not tried the working module alone in the second slot as previously I had two 512MB modules, one in each slot, and so I assume from that (manufacterer's settings) that both slots work. But I have tried the other module on its own in the top slot and on its own, that one works too. I don't know if you feel I should try again using just the one new memory model on its own in the second slot?  Seems to me that both slots work, and both modules work, but for some reason not when they are both used together at the same time.

The CT number is : CT25664AC667.16FHZ   (2GB)

One other question, as I write I am using the one new memory module alone to use the laptop, as even this on its own is a doubling of my previous RAM. Is it safe to assume that this is ok to do for now?

Many thanks for your time and assistance.

Crucial_Katana

Although your laptop should be able to support the two 2GB modules, there may be a limitation we were unaware of, or maybe simply something wrong with it, that prevents it from running with 4GB. If that is the case, there is unfortunately nothing that we can do on our end to enable support of 4GB.

If you are happy with running the laptop on 2GB you can return the other 2GB module if you bought it from directly from Crucial, just use the appropriate link below to get in touch with our Customer Support and they will take care of that for you. Using a single 2GB module in the laptop will not cause any form of damage.

US Customer Service
US Warranty and Returns

UK/EU Customer Service
UK/EU Warranty and Returns

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
shashamane

Thank you, Katana,

I will do as you suggest.  I also wondered about updating the BIOS and if that would make a difference, but as the manufacturers (Evesham Technology)  went into liquidation last year I am assuming that this is not an option available to me ...

Many thanks for your time and assistance.

Bit Baby
umair_cs

There are few causes for which you are getting this error. The first answer is it could be that you have not seated or placed the ram in its properly. Usually all laptop ram's are inserted at an angle between 30 to 50 degrees. If you try to insert horizontally then it will not get in. Second thing is, the laptop has limited support for the ram upgrade, such as few old models support only upto 2gb. However, for more solutions you can follow the link where I have answered few more fixes to the issue in detail. Fix for ram upgrade issues

Bit Baby
kaiyara

I appreciate all the posts in this forum... thanks everyone... Have a good day.
selftestengine [url=http://www.selftestengine.com/]www.selftestengine.com[/url]
pass4sure [url=http://www.pass4sure.com/]pass 4 sure[/url]