Crucial M500

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial M500

targetbsp wrote:

Garbage Collection was added to the M225 in one of its firmwares and has been present in every Crucial drive since.

This is probably the KB article you are after: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/My-SSD-used-to-be-so-much-faster-What-h...

So for the M4's Idle Garbage Collection is present in every FW, correct ? The way he wrote it, i thought he inclluded  all drives in his statement

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Correct.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Silicon Sultan

[ Edited ]

Holt wrote: "Please do not confuse Garbage Collection with the Idle-Garbage Collection (Idle GC). Garbage Collection is needed for every flash device or you could only write its capacity once because Garbage Collection is the name for the recycling algorithem of FLASH blocks. Only the Idle GC that does run the Garbage Collection in Idle to improve speed is optional. But not even the best Idle-GC wiil ever replace TRIM support nor does TRIM support replace an Idle-GC. TRIM commands yust inform the controller that some data will not be needed any more, which would otherwise only be known after the LBA accociated to it were overwritten. TRIM only reduces the amount of data a controller has to consider valid and there to keep and copy in the flash in case the block where it is located was selected to be deleted. And of cause a block where (allmost) all data inside has been trimmed and therfore is invalid will be selected by the Idle-GC to be deleted very soon."

@ HOLT: gc is so advanced now, and so proprietary, that it has indeed, 'replaced' trim as a must have. using raid trim, my performance has not markedly improve over my non trim capable raid array of same drives. in fact, using a non trim under raid capable orom, my stand alone workstation array is by far faster, higher performing, than under a trim  raid capable satadriver/orom. for high write/iop enterprise devices which have different routines, trim may play a part in their ability to cope with their particular workload at an expected level of performance (though you notice that there are no readily available trim capable enterprise hba, though the capability has been there for quite a while), but for any consumer workload/drive, trim is no longer the must-have it once was looking to be, before today's drives with superior self-maintenance routines were introduced. things have changed a bit. and i think you meant wear leveling rather than garbage collection, because there is wear leveling and there is garbage collection, whether it is done idly or on the fly is up to a drives FW...

Dual Channel Surfer

[ Edited ]

One thing I'd like to know about the M500 before I would purchase, is what methods will be available to update the firmware?

For example:

* Will there be SYSLINUX (or similar) bootable CDROM or USB as before?

* EFI bootable image for Mac OS X and other UEFI machines that don't support legacy mode?

* Windows executable - some people seem to prefer this method, but to me it is the least important option.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial M500 - has anyone purchased the M500 960GB for MacBook Pro?

I currently have a m4 512GB in my late 2011 MacBook Pro and love it. I've been saving my pennies for the 960GB M500 since it was announced, but I'm anxious to learn if anyone with a Mac has installed the M500 960GB in their machines yet and if everything turned out well?

Thanks in advance,

Clinton

Bit Baby

I have just finished installing the M500 960GB in my iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 Crucial RAM, AMD Radeon HD 9670M 1024MB, OS-X 10.8.2 - Wow. It's now blazingly fast. The install was easier than I expected. I installed a new Segate 3TB 7200rpm HDD at the same time and configured the system with CoreStorage Fusion.

Works a treat. Installed TRIM support. Everything looks good.Very straightforward install as I was able to copy the entirity of the original 1TB HDD to the Fusion drive. Great.

Clinton, hope this helps.

I have done the same Fusion setup previously to my MacBookPro - M4 256GB, again with wonderful results. 

Kilobyte Kid

Mine's been working great. Most noticeable so far with startup time and launching Adobe's bloated CS apps. Smiley Happy  Haven't had any video or similar heavy-needs projects yet so can't comment on that. 

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test reports ~405MB/s write and ~487MB/s read, give or take a couple. 

Kilobyte Kid

I cant seem to buy a dozen or so of these drives for the retail price. When is availability going to be announced ? I have builds in my shop waiting for these drives, at least give me a timeframe, please.

Community Manager

Hi alan1479,

First of all I would like to say sorry that you have not been able to get the drives you require.

We would be more than happy to confirm a date of when the parts will be back in stock.  Please contact our customer service team with the size of SSD you require and how many you need, you can contact them directly HERE.

Once we have that information we would be more than happy to check the stock for you.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I have installed M500 960GB in my Macbook Pro mid 2012.

Installation was very easy (pre-formatted on another mac beforehand).

After instaling tweaked with:

- enabled Trim

- disabled hdd sudden motion sensor

- disabled hibernation

- set persistent mount for / filesystem with noatime flag

- disabled Spotlight for files (kept on only for apps)

Source: http://sysadmin.flakshack.com/post/9253439680/ssd-tweaks-for-mac-os-x

I must say I am truly impressed with the performance of my macbook pro (mid 2012, 16GB Ram, i7 2.6 GHz) now.

It actully boots up close to 1 second faster than my wifes macbook pro retina (early 2013, 500 SSD, 16GB Ram, i7 2.7 GHz)!!

I am extremely pleased with the upgrade and size of the SSD!

Well done Crucial!

Blackmagic test:

test1.jpg