After Malware check and Virus Scan, RAM still runs extremely high during games.

Bit Baby

After Malware check and Virus Scan, RAM still runs extremely high during games.

I bought 8GB worth of DDR4-2400 Ballistix Sport LT ram around the end of 2016, I've been using my PC daily and it's been great. Lately though, it seems my ram has been malfunctioning while playing graphic intensive games. Whenever I play Rainbow Six Seige or Dying Light, my ram will shoot up to 80%-99%, making my games just about impossible to play or enjoy. I posted my problems onto reddit a few days ago and they told me to delete "Killer Ethernet" which is known to cause memory leaks. After I deleted that and checked for Viruses and Malware, things seemed to be better, but then I jumped on another game and the frame drops and music stutters came back, I check my ram and it's still a very high temperature. Some people were saying it's cause I only have one stick of RAM, which may cause high temperatures, but before a few weeks ago, everything was running perfectly fine. I've done a Windows Memory check as well and it said that nothing was wrong, but I did use Userbenchmark and it said my RAM was performing way below expectations, so I have no idea what could be wrong, I really hope someone can help here.

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: After Malware check and Virus Scan, RAM still runs extremely high during games.

How much memory does your system have in total?   What is the recommend memory requirements for these games?  If you only have 8GB total installed, you may actualy need to install more memory for these games.  Do you have other apps or items running while playing these games?

You need to compare the baseline memory usage as well.  Before playing these games how much memory is your system using?

Have you ran an offline virus/malware scan by booting from a USB drive? 

Have you  run a chkdsk scan on your drive(s) and tried running "sfc /scannow" to check your system files?

Have you tried temporarily turning off your antivirus & malware software while playing these games?  If you have installed other apps to ehance Windows or performance like the "Killer Ethernet", then I would suggest disabling them.  I'm no longer a Windows user, so I am not up to date on what these apps are or whether they are even necessary.  Many times these apps can cause more problems than they help.

If you are running Win10, make sure it is not downloading or installing updates.  I know Win10 will do this and it can sometimes be very hard to tell it is happening since the Windows Update page in Settings does not always show it.

I know on older versions of Windows there was a way to create a customized system resource scan so you could monitor specific aspects of your system and later review the logs & graphs (I don't recall how to do this).  You can also try checking the Event Viewer logs to see if something odd shows up.  Also check Task Manager for running processes to see which may be consuming the most memory and to see if there may be a rogue item running.

You mentioned very high temperature as well.  What temperature was being reported for the memory, CPU, GPU, general motherboard/enclosure ?

If memory is being filled then something is using it and I would begin with any special apps to enhance performance or to enhance or tweak Windows.   If you have a temperature issue with the RAM, then either your entire system is running hot or you may have a bad stick of RAM.  You can use Memtest86 to test your RAM and Prime95 (Stress/Torture Test option) to stress test your entire system for stability issues and see what the maximum temperature it produces for each component.  If you have over/underclocked your system or have it at anything but system defaults, this could be your problem.  Start over at defaults to check your temperatures and make small changes until you notice a problem.

I'm not sure if you are asking for help on running out of memory or the memory running hot, or possibly both?

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Re: After Malware check and Virus Scan, RAM still runs extremely high during games.

yes, It might be possible.. Check Your Used RAM. and delete all temp files.

https://www.kissanime.vip/