Best possible memory for Dell XT3 with unsupported quad core CPU

Kilobyte Kid

Best possible memory for Dell XT3 with unsupported quad core CPU

Dell only ever sold the XT3 convertible laptop with dual core CPU's but I saw that people online were running quads so I bought a an I7-2760QM and and a new 4G WWAN card off ebay which are running pretty nicely.

I see that ARK says the CPU supports 2x 8GB. Others online with XT3 claim to have 2x8GB working. More still claim to have PC14900 RAM to be working.

Does anyone see a problem with installing BLS2C8G3N18AES4 on this old sandy bridge laptop with HD3000 graphics?

BLS2C8G3N18AES4: Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) CL10 @1.35V 204-Pin Memory 

4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Best possible memory for Dell XT3 with unsupported quad core CPU

Hi Lokio,

Thanks for contacting us today. Have you upgraded the motherboard on this system or does it still have the same motherboard that came with it? The motherboard will be the limiting factor as far as the size of the memory module that can be installed. 

Thanks, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Yogih,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it's the original board with two slots (offcicially 2x4GB) however I'm not too worried about the size of the module, as noted others online seem to be running 16GB with no problems and indeed 16GB max is reported by the Linux command dmidecode.

I'm also confident that the XT3 & i7-2760QM can run PC14900 (officially just pc12800) based on the reports of others. I guess I'm just remembering memory controllers from around that era that would not run at the maximum speed if the maximum module size was installed. I'm also slightly worried that if the HD3000 is in use then that might affect the memory speed. I'm just going to try it and see what happens.

Cheers

Bit Baby

Did you ever figure out what to use?
Bit Baby

Did you ever figure out what to use?
Tags (1)