Cannot get ram to run at 1600mhz at CAS 8-8-8-24

Kilobyte Kid

Cannot get ram to run at 1600mhz at CAS 8-8-8-24

Hello I just obtained a Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3 4 x 4 GB RAM 1.35v and installed it on my PC. I was hoping to run the RAM at the rated specs of 1600 mhz with a cas latency of 8-8-8-24.

I have a Acer Predator G3-605-UR38 PC with an  Intel i7 4770 cpu and a B85 chipset.

Upon installation I run CPU-Z and found out that my ram was running at a DRAM freq of 1330 mhz instead of 1600 with a cas latency of 9-9-9-24 instead of 8-8-8-24. 

I decided to go into the bios to change the ram settings but because my processor is a locked i7 4770, there doesn't seem to be a way to overclock or change the settings of my ram.

Is there a way to reach the recommended settings for this ram on my PC?

1 Reply
Crucial Employee

Re: Cannot get ram to run at 1600mhz at CAS 8-8-8-24

What's the actual speed and timmings reported from BIOS? CPUz doesn't always report accurate information, so it's best to get the info directly from BIOS/UEFI.

Ballistix memory and most performance memory have XMP profile speeds advertised, this means that a system needs to support XMP to get out the out of the box specs. You'll nee to see if your Predator has the option to enable XMP under the memory settings. If you don't have XMP in that system, the memory will be forced to downclock and run at a standard JEDEC speed, which is the could be either a 1333 or 1600 JEDEC profile depending on the system. 

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?