Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 5530 fails to boot with 'compatible' Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit

Bit Baby

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 5530 fails to boot with 'compatible' Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit

I searched for compatible memory for my Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 5530 and chose the highest performing option, Ballistix Sport LT (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM BLS2C16G4S26BFSD which the 'Will it work in my system ?' said it was compatible.
I purchased the memory from a reseller as I was purchsaing other components at the same time. When the memory arrived and was inserted the machine failed to boot with a memory error. Replacing the memory with the original Dell memory it booted fine.
After I had the issue I found various posts online on Crucial and Dell forums relating to both the Precision 5530 and the XPS 9570 which is the consumer version of the 5530, detailing the exact same issue and there were references to issues with other brands of DDR4-2666 with a CL of less than 18.
All this makes me a ~£320 poorer proud owner of 32GB of Ballistix memory that Crucial said was compatible but is clearly not. The reseller I purchased it from is not particularly interested in helping as the memory they sold me is not technically faulty, a position I sympathise with.
At the top of the Crucual UK site it says...'Compatible upgrades guaranteed'...
How do I claim against this 'guarantee' ?

1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 5530 fails to boot with 'compatible' Ballistix Sport LT 32GB K

You may have to contact Crucial Support directly and explain the issue in order to get the refund.  I think the online form is only for exchanges.  It would definitely be helpful to let them know about the multiple forum postings on the web regarding Dell's memory issues across vendors.  While Crucial employees do monitor these forums it is easy to miss a post.  

I've followed some of those links and I'm very disappointed to see a company such as Dell have so many issues with RAM.  If some of Dell's posted responses are true it doesn't appear they are even working on a fix or they know it is not fixable with firmware.  Definitely leary of buying from them now.