Heatsink not touching chips?

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Heatsink not touching chips?

Hello, I've just bought 4 sticks of BLS16G4D30CEST and found out that the heatsink does NOT touch all of the memory chips. Both sides of the heatsink are slightly bent outwards on both ends of the module, so the thermal sticket has no contact with chips at the ends of the stick. Not only it does not sink the heat from chips, but it also blocks the airflow, which could otherwise help with the cooling. Smiley Very Happy It looks like a bad joke.

These are my first Crucial modules. Is this common with Crucial modules or should I return them to the seller even though they seem to work OK?

Thanks,
Martin

2 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Heatsink not touching chips?

@jirmik the thermal pads should be touching the heatsink, so we would request that we get these parts replaced for you.

Please send us an email at crucsupport@micron.com along with your shipping information, the full part number on the side of the memory module, and we would be happy to set that up for you. Please make sure to request a shipping label as well and say that Benny from the forums said so Smiley Happy

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Bit Baby

Re: Heatsink not touching chips?

Thank you, I've just sent the memory back to shop where I bought it. I'll do what you've recommended if any problems appear.

Martin