MX500 CANT BE SEEN AFTER LESS THAN 2 WEEKS ON MACBOOK PRO 2012 semi long story.

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 CANT BE SEEN AFTER LESS THAN 2 WEEKS ON MACBOOK PRO 2012 semi long story.

This is my first post here. I installed a 1tb mx500 just about 2 weeks ago. All was fine up to 2 days ago.

I was watching Netflix when the browser crashed,followed by black screen. It didnt come back.

I did a restart and got the folder with a question mark. I put my old drive back in, all good. I had a new sata cable which I bought as a backup due to posts i had read before buying an ssd regarding cable failure. So I swapped out the cable, tried the old  drive, still working. Then retested the ssd, no go. Power cycled next, as directed. Tried this with the drive in the laptop, outside via usb and with docking station. I have a new usb cable with seperate data and power on the way to try but it's not looking great. I even put the drive in another laptop, Windows not sure if that would work but figured it would still show up in the bios, no.

So, any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Also should I need to return it, I'm concerned about sensitive data on the drive with no way to wipe it. I have contacted the store where I purchased, from ebay and waiting for a reply.

2 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 CANT BE SEEN AFTER LESS THAN 2 WEEKS ON MACBOOK PRO 2012 semi long story.

It sounds like you've tried everything possible.   Try the power cycle trick with your new adapter just to be sure, but if you don't see the MX500 as a physical drive in the BIOS of a standard PC, then it sounds like it just died.   If you boot from your original hard drive and connect the MX500 externally, do you see any LED activity on your dock/adapter?  Check Apple System Profiler under USB to see if the drive is physically seen by the system.  You could also check the system log to see if any errors are reported when connecting it using USB.   Many times with cases like this you may see errors reported as the computer is trying to communicate with the SSD's controller.   I've seen a fair amount of internal SSD controllers get stuck and unable to communicate with the host system (mostly non-Crucial SSDs).

If you were using FileVault on the SSD, then you should be Ok since your data is encrypted.   Otherwise you have to put your trust in  Crucial and/or the eBay vendor if you want to replace the drive under warranty.   If you decide the risk is too great, then you can physically destroy the SSD or you could keep the drive stored in a safe location and try accessing it again a year or two from now.   I've had a couple of SSDs come back to life after sitting on the shelf for a year or two.   

Kilobyte Kid

Re: MX500 CANT BE SEEN AFTER LESS THAN 2 WEEKS ON MACBOOK PRO 2012 semi long story.

I have contacted the seller of the drive and will see how things go, I'm really not happy with the idea of sending it off but may have to. I did all the research before i bought it. Having to possibly throw more money at it just makes me mad. To me it was still an expensive investment.