to avoid dropping screws is it okay to use a magnetized screwdriver ?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

to avoid dropping screws is it okay to use a magnetized screwdriver ?

Is very easy to drop screws.  Is it okay to use a moderately magnetized screwdriver to remove screws ?

2 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: to avoid dropping screws is it okay to use a magnetized screwdriver ?

Seems to be okay. 

I did it ! Wanting to upgrade memory and hard drive on my laptop, I was faced with the excruciating prospect of handling the teeny weeny screws that secure the battery and the hard drive and the system cover.

Normally a cautious guy, I threw caution to the winds, and for $2.97 bought a Husky Screwdriver Magnetizer / Demagnetizer from Home Depot and stroked my small philips head screwdriver in the magnetizer cavity. Lo and behold. After about maybe 5 strokes, the screwdriver was able to hold screws from the system cover, that must weigh something like a few grams, more or less.

It made a HUGE difference. I did not drop one screw and reinserting screws was much much easier. So much easier than prior experience working on computers. And afterwards the laptop is running just fine.

By the way, one other thing I tried that worked well was to use a 3/4" wide wood chisel to pry open the system case, taking care not to insert it too far. Lacking the recommended scribe I first tried a credit card, with no luck. Then tried the chisel and found the system cover came off almost effortlessly.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: to avoid dropping screws is it okay to use a magnetized screwdriver ?

Yeah it fine if the screw driver is magnitised enough  just to hold the screw but be careful not to get that near chips and chipsets ect ya would wipe.