2 MX5600 drives freeze windows 10 after Acronis clone

Kilobyte Kid

2 MX5600 drives freeze windows 10 after Acronis clone

I just bought 2 Ma500 1tb drive for upgrading my machine. I am using Win10 and an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.

The original drive has zero issues. 

The freeze of the drives, used separately on the same machine, lock up windows after 15-20 mins.

All Acronis software has been removed as well as the crucial toolbox, other hard drive software, EaseUS, too.

There is the standard sata controller by windows being used. 

when booting into safe mode, there is no issue.

This is 100% fail on both drives freezing windows.

It seems to me that the time it takes for the screensaver to engage might cause this issue, but nothing to prove it. I am ready to return these drive if I am not able to resolve this issue.

the time out happens in the middle of a windows repair from the images created by microsoft too. I made sure to power down the original system before removing the cloned drives too

PLEASE help!

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: 2 MX5600 drives freeze windows 10 after Acronis clone

In your BIOS, enable hot swap for the ports the SSD's are plugged into.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I haven't seen a hot swap option in the sabertooth mobo. I have the ESP set for the ports. Is that hot swap?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Try SATA Hot Plug option - it should be under 'Advanced > SB SATA configuration > SATA Hot Plug on PORT1-6'.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

that is the ESP option I am pretty sure, there is zero hot anything in that bios. ESP is set and should be hot swappable. This is the main boot drive and not sure why you would want that hot swappable.

I really think there is an issue where windows would normally go to a screensaver and how this drive freezes. It is always 20-35 mins until win10 gets frozen.

I use the computer to listen to music while I am working on the work laptop so it is unattended. 

This behavior happens on BOTH of these drives after the acronis disk clone. The original samsumg SSD has no such issue!

Crucial Employee

Considering the drives are locking up after 15-20 minutes, the issue may be related to the power configuration of Windows 10. I would recommend following the instructions below to optimize the power settings for the drives.

1. Navigate to the Power Options and click 'Change Plan Settings' for the plan that is currently selected.

2. Set 'Put the computer to sleep' to 'Never' so that the system does not go into a sleep state.

3. Click 'Change Advanced Power Settings' and expand the 'Hard Disk' in the listing.

4. Change 'turn off hard disk after' to a value of '0', which will set it as Never.

5. Apply the changes and then restart the system.

After changing the power options in your operating system, test it out and see if the results are different. If you are still experiencing the freeze issues, I would recommend updating to the latest SATA driver that ASUS has listed for your Sabertooth 990fx R2 board. This may yield better results than the generic Windows SATA driver. Keep us updated on the results so we can continue assisting you if needed!

Crucial_Jones, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@conley wrote:

that is the ESP option I am pretty sure, there is zero hot anything in that bios. ESP is set and should be hot swappable. This is the main boot drive and not sure why you would want that hot swappable.

The reason to enable that is it's the most trivial way to disable all power saving features on a drive. Smiley Happy  Whilst also allowing the system to recover if it does disconnect for some reason (since that's somewhat expected for a hot swapable drive)

If that failed to work, I would then have moved onto Crucial_Jones' suggestions so try them Smiley Very Happy

Want to be a Super User?