AMD SATA driver MX 500 and Over Provisioning issues

Kilobyte Kid

AMD SATA driver MX 500 and Over Provisioning issues

Ran compatibility checker, which shows both my systems are compatible (Laptop:HP Probook 455 G2 and desktop: mother board is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UP3P (Rev 1.0) - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-UD3P-rev-10#ov )

Unfortunately, I have spent the best part of two days trying to get the Crucial MX500 500GB working with my systems with no luck.

I am using windows 10 x64 bit with the latest software patches applied.

I have installed the Microsoft AHCI driver as after researching forums and my own experience, I know that the AMD SATA driver can cause issues. E.g. when using the CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64, the benchmark never completes with using the AMD SATA driver (crashes windows). I have used the Microsoft AHCI driver instead and the benchmark completes, but with poor write figures, my old existing driver is a Samsung 850 250GB, which has much improved write speed when using the AMD SATA driver and is stable. (btw, if you ever wanted to check how much difference Momentum Cache makes, bench mark the SSD with and without it using CrystalDiskMark)

Using either the AMD SATA or Microsoft AHCI driver, I cannot use Over Provisioning, which is a major concern. I get the message ‘Ooops, something went wrong.’ and given the chance to send logs. I have sent a number of logs with different drivers, but have had no luck in getting Over Provisioning working.

I am using version 3.60.082018.04 of the Crucial Storage Executive software.

Please help, any guidance would be appreciated to resolve the issues.

Have emailed Crucial support as well.

Thanks in advance.

CurrentDriver.jpgOtherDriversTried.jpgOverProvisioningError.jpg

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: AMD SATA driver MX 500 and Over Provisioning issues

You can implement OP by leaving part of the drive unpartitioned.  A Crucial representative on these forums confirmed this would work in another post.  

Have you updated the firmware on your motherboard and the SSD?

Did you install the AMD system chipset driver for the motherboard?

The moderators haven't approved your screenshots yet, so I am unable to analyze them.

JEDEC Jedi

@kndusr19 wrote:

. (btw, if you ever wanted to check how much difference Momentum Cache makes, bench mark the SSD with and without it using CrystalDiskMark)

Note the reason for the difference is that bechmarking with Monentum enabled is that it's effectively benchmarking your RAM - not the drive. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the reply HWTech.

I have tried to implement OP by using Mini Tool Partition Wizard my leaving the last part of the SSD unpartitioned. My only question is that how do I know that is working? i.e. OP is properly utilising that space.

The SSD did not need a firmware update and the motherboard is already on the latest BIOS.

All the drivers are up to date, I use 'driver booster' to make sure that is the case.

Kilobyte Kid

Yes, it is using RAM for caching........tbh I did not expect such a difference in speed, I thought it would not make much difference.