Acronis Crucial Edition / MX500 - not recongized via SATA USB

Kilobyte Kid

Acronis Crucial Edition / MX500 - not recongized via SATA USB

I've seen several posts here but few suggestions on actually remediating this situation.  The few suggestions are: 

1. Are you sure you have a Crucial disk.  Repeating this in the face of people using Crucial hardware seems odd. 

2. Format the crucial drive (so Acronis Crucial edition can recognize it): this is equally frustrating.  If everything except Acronis can recognize the drive, why "bundle" Acronis? 

I bought two SSDs last week - a Samsung EVO 860 and this Crucial MX500.  I had the Samsung cloning in under an hour and finished the entire operation in under three hours.  

With Crucial, I'm still hunting answers as to why the Acronis software cannot even see the target drive connected via USB (and, as it turns out, other means like direct-connected to the MB of a desktop computer also don't help Acronis)?  

Pictured below is my Win10 1803 system happily recognizing the drive while Acronis Crucial Edition is unhappily reporting "no such drive is attached to the system".  

This problem with Crucial drives and the Acronis OEM has been reported for more than a year .

GL ACRONIS_CRUCIAL_DriveIssue.png

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Acronis Crucial Edition / MX500 - not recongized via SATA USB

Some sata/usb cables don't allow the drive to be identified.  Just use any other free cloning software. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree is popular.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

3 tools and several hours later, it finally is working.  

Acronis sees the drive after the fact.

Bit Baby

Wondered what 3 tools you used to finally get it working.  I have purchased a Crucial M.2 SSD to replace smaller SSD in computer.   Am trying to clone OS, only have 1 M.2 slot. Purchased a PCIe SSD enclosure, but Acronis software will not recognise the Crucial SSD. 

JEDEC Jedi

@ronnySmith wrote:

Wondered what 3 tools you used to finally get it working.  I have purchased a Crucial M.2 SSD to replace smaller SSD in computer.   Am trying to clone OS, only have 1 M.2 slot. Purchased a PCIe SSD enclosure, but Acronis software will not recognise the Crucial SSD. 

If you install Acronis on your current SSD, there is an option to create a bootable USB or CD within the interface.   Afterwards shutdown your system (if using Win10, press the Shift key as you select shutdown so it performs a full shutdown sequence instead of the default hibernation).   Install your new SSD and boot from the Acronis drive to clone your system with your original SSD in the USB enclosure.  If this doesn't work you can still use other options.   Most likely the USB enclosure is blocking a critical communication which Acronis needs to identify the drive.

Kilobyte Kid

EaseUS partition tool, Macrium, Win10 native drive tool 

Acronis OEM for Crucial never did recognize the drive until after the job was done. had nothing to do with "USB cables".  the drive is great. the software: not so much. Just burns that many, many people have wasted hours on this issue as it's been reported for well over a year, with other models of Crucial drives too.   

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Acronis is a huge name in cloning software circles - but I've never used it myself.  I use the one they used to ship (Apricorn) or Macrium.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Mine didn't ship with anything. they give you a website link in the single sheet of paper provided in the box with the drive:  cruical.com/support/ssd   .  From there, you're directed to download a special, OEM version of Acronis (as of Jan 2019 when I tried this).   Apparently this (OEM) software is not Scottish.. because it's chhhhhhhhhraahp.  

JEDEC Jedi

@glenintenn wrote:

EaseUS partition tool, Macrium, Win10 native drive tool 

Acronis OEM for Crucial never did recognize the drive until after the job was done. had nothing to do with "USB cables".  the drive is great. the software: not so much. Just burns that many, many people have wasted hours on this issue as it's been reported for well over a year, with other models of Crucial drives too.   

@glenintenn wrote:

Mine didn't ship with anything. they give you a website link in the single sheet of paper provided in the box with the drive:  cruical.com/support/ssd   .  From there, you're directed to download a special, OEM version of Acronis (as of Jan 2019 when I tried this).   Apparently this (OEM) software is not Scottish.. because it's chhhhhhhhhraahp.  

The problem with Crucial's version of Acronis is it must first confirm the existence of a Crucial drive since the software is being offered for free use with a Crucial drive.   The manner in which they identify the drive is not the same as just identifying a drive for a source/destination.  Unfortunately some adapters & controllers can block the necessary commands or communication.  It is also possible other features may have been slightly modified at the request of Acronis.