Acronis versus EZ GIG and first clone of a new Crucial SDD

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

I have the complete EZ GIG cable kit and was planning on using that cable with the Acronis software.

Does the Acronis software take care of initializing and formatting?

5 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Acronis versus EZ GIG and first clone of a new Crucial SDD

I would use the Ez Gig software if it were me!  I prefer it.  But your call.  Other software should indeed work with that cable* whereas the Ez Gig software won't work with other cables.

You don't need to initialise the drive with any cloning software I know of. The cloning software should do that for you.

*it's worth noting the supplied copy of Acronis needs to be able to identify a support Crucial drive.  If the drive somewhow wasn't identified on the end fo the cable then it may only work if the crucial drive was internal and the source drive was external.  Having never actually tried this - I couldn't say whether that's the case with this cable or not.  For a full version of Acronis this is obviously a non-issue.

Kilobyte Kid

OK, EZ GIG failed in the first go to make a bootable drive.  However I have had this happen before and usually the second time after a format works.   So my drive is recognized by my usb drive reader before and after a NFTS format. The EZ GIG cable is now recognized on my (SSD project) laptop as well as the drive. So trying Acronis this time around and it looks like EZ GIG in many ways.  I have had this issue in the past where the clone did not work the first time around and a format may or may not have fixed the issue. TBD. Since it can be formatted I would assume initialize is a waist of time.

Anyway update in two hours/maybe

Kilobyte Kid

Couple of notes.

The time left for cloning does not work at all

And I think they skipped a step in that you have to go to tools before you start

Kilobyte Kid

OK time left worked after the first 55 minutes elapsed and copying partition started

These disks must be initialized in GPT, simple volume created before any computer can recognize it. I assume the  clone twice operation does that for you in that it creates a readable drive but not bootable one until you format and reclone.

also these drives run cooler that the other brands I have

Kilobyte Kid

For some reason I think the EZ GIG cable was a part of the problem. Maybe!  Anyway using a poratable docking unit for all clones presently and one laptop is slower that the other, but at least functional so far in the cloning process.  Also noticed some extra partitions. I guess the clone ware does that for a reason. 

healthy EFI ?)

EFI system partition. The EFI system partition (Extensible Firmware Interface) or (ESP) is a partition on a data storage device (usually a hard disk drive or solid-state drive) that is used by computers adhering to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).

Not sure I have seen this on other clones/maybe.

Windows

NFTS primary

Recovery

To avoid all the pain just use a docking external unit, intialize disk in device disk management, create a simple volume, reformat in NFTS once the drive is recognized in the PC on your destop.

Samsung was easy once I figured out the process and HP was a nightmare as you had to remove the keyboard.