Add MX500 to notebook with non-removable eMMC: winload.efi missing

Bit Baby

Add MX500 to notebook with non-removable eMMC: winload.efi missing

We’re having problems installing Windows 10 on a new Crucial MX500. We can’t simply clone the notebook’s existing drive because it’s a non-removable eMMC.

Both Crucial’s scanning tool and their website recommended the Crucial MX500 500GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) for our HP 14T-BS000 14" HD Notebook (bought factory reconditioned from Woot). Per the instructions we cloned what we thought was the notebook’s hard drive, and then opened it to discover it had no drive, and we had actually cloned its non-removable eMMC instead. There was a bay where we could install the SSD and a SATA port to plug it into. At the time we were unaware we should not boot up a computer with both the original and clone connected.

After we learned more, we used Acronis True Image to clear the SSD, which left it with a 128M MSR partition and a 465G primary partition. While booted from the original eMMC, we downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and turned a USB drive into a Windows 10 installer. We booted from the USB drive and chose “Custom: Install Windows only” rather than “Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files” as we were going to a blank SSD -- was that the right choice?

While installing, a Recovery screen appeared with the message:

The application or operating system couldn’t be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc000000e

We don’t know whether it’s referring to a file missing from the USB drive or from the in-progress installation on the blank SSD.

What’s the best way to install a new Crucial SSD in a notebook with a bay for it, and a non-removable eMMC?

Tags (2)
3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Add MX500 to notebook with non-removable eMMC: winload.efi missing

The Custom Install option is the only one you can use.  

The error you are receiving may be due to the original Windows install on the eMMC drive as Windows will usually utilize an existing boot and/or system partition if it finds one even when installing to another physical drive.   To minimize problems, I would erase the eMMC drive and I would also go into the BIOS/UEFI settings and remove any existing boot entries.   While in the BIOS/UEFI settings, I would make sure the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode if available and to select UEFI booting before installing Windows.   

In the Windows installer, press Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt and remove all of the partitions on the MX500 & the eMMC before you select an install location for Windows.   Do not manually create any partitions so that Windows will create its own partitions as needed.

I'm not familiar with this model laptop so I cannot say for sure if this will work or if it will allow booting to another drive instead of the eMMC.

Bit Baby

We're quite nervous about erasing our eMMC. We don't want to go through what this poster did, losing the drivers for his laptop hardware. (He got them back, but I don't think that's guaranteed.)

Instead what we're doing now is using the Crucial SSD as a second drive (DSmiley Happy, moving each of our library folders (Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.) to that drive (with the Move button in each folder's Properties window), and installing our apps to that drive (we uninstalled them to get enough room to use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool). We'll continue to boot from the eMMC. Hopefully with all that stuff moved, Windows will have enough space to install its security updates.

But we appreciate your taking the time to answer our question. Thanks!

JEDEC Jedi

I've worked on a couple of traditional HP laptops recently (none with the eMMC drives) and none of them  had any Windows drivers or BIOS firmware updates available from the HP website as they seem to rely on drivers being included with Windows.  Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure with your model.  If you later change your mind about wiping the eMMC drive and installing Windows on the MX500, I would first make a bit for bit clone of the eMMC drive so you could restore it if necessary.  Most cloning software may not be sufficient as they rarely make bit for bit identical copies.    There is still a slight risk even with this method if the BIOS/UEFI settings don't allow for manually recreating the Windows boot entry.  Just providing this information if you change your mind later.

Enjoy your laptop & SSD.