Adding M.2 SSD and cloning OS without removing old drive

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Adding M.2 SSD and cloning OS without removing old drive

I have an HP Envy x360 laptop with Windows 10 that's approximately 1 year old.  It has an m-keyed m.2 slot for an SSD.

I would like to purchase the Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB drive, clone the existing hard drive to that, and make the SSD the boot drive, and format the existing hard drive for storage, all without removing the existing disk. 

This system has UEFI firmware so there isn't an option that I can see to assign which drive to boot the system from.

I want to know how to perform this operation before I make my purchase as I can't really afford any down time from work.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Adding M.2 SSD and cloning OS without removing old drive

You should be able to pick any drive that contains an OS from within UEFI.  I couldn't see my P1 there until it actually had an OS on it and now it's there and boots from it fine.  But to be absolutely certain, you'd be better off asking on HP's forum as this more a question specific to your computer than whatever model of drive you will be inserting into it.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Adding M.2 SSD and cloning OS without removing old drive

You can access the BIOS boot menu on many HP systems by pressing the "ESC" key during POST.  This may present you with a boot menu, or it may present you with other options, one of which should be a boot menu.  You may want to go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the timeout setting to give you a little more time to react as newer system don't give you much time press these special keys.  If "Esc" is not the correct key, then check HP's website.

After you install the newly cloned SSD,  if you are unable to boot, then you may have to enter the BIOS/UEFI settings and create a new UEFI boot entry for Windows and make it the default.  If you cannot make it the default, then you will need to use the BIOS boot menu to test it.   After you confirm everything is working fine, you should delete the original Windows boot option so it doesn't cause any problems and should make your new entry the default.  If your system doesn't allow manually creating a new boot entry, then run the Windows installer and click the "Repair this computer" link in the lower left and find the "Automatic Startup Repair" option (under Advanced->Troubleshooting or this might be reversed) and see if it can create a new Windows boot entry in your system's NVRAM.