Alienware 17R4

Kilobyte Kid

Alienware 17R4

I installed this drive about a year ago but I started getting messages from the Alienware support program that I am having hard disk failures.  I am not aware of anything but I ran the Alienware firmware diagnostics and I am getting Error Code 2000-0142  Validation 91166.   My drive is a Crucial MX 300 MDL CT1050MX300SSD1.  I removed and reinstalled the drive in case it was a contact issue but that had no effect.

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Alienware 17R4

The error codes you've posted up are Dell errors codes - not from the drive.  And whilst they may help Dell - they don't tell me much! Smiley Happy

Please post up the drives SMART diagnostic data from Crucial Storage Executive or your preferred SMART monitoring program.

Please also describe the issues you are having.  Drive not found? Won't boot?  Hanging in Windows?  CRC or I/O Errors?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

The issues I am having is that the Alienware utility that checks the system is saying the drive has a problem.  When I run the Alienware Firmware diagnostics it reports the errors I listed.  Other then that I am having no issues.  Here is a screen shot of the Smart Info:

Capture.JPGSmart Info

JEDEC Jedi

Thanks for the info. The moderators need to check out the picture before other users are allowed to see it so we'll get back to you when they have. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of errors there.  I'd certainly make sure your backups are up to date then seek advice from Crucial support.

Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Is the firmware up to date on the MX300?  I believe M0CR060 is the latest.  The earlier firmwares tended to have odd issues.  I would then back everything up and perform a Secure Erase on the drive.  The MX300 with earlier firmware seems to get into weird states that only a Secure Erase will fix. 

Those attributes say there is only 27 hours on the drive which is really low for a 1 year old drive.  Depending on what Crucial support tells you, you should keep an eye on these SMART Attributes to see if the errors are still accumulating.