Apparently there is new MX500 firmware as of 29/11/18? Not one word out here or internet?

Kilobyte Kid

Apparently there is new MX500 firmware as of 29/11/18? Not one word out here or internet?

Nov-29-2018 M3CR023 firmware shown as latest update for MX500.

Please confirm this is genuine update, as there has been no mention of it on this forum, the MX500 shows "No update available" direct on your website and I can find nothing anywhere on the internet relating to M3CR023 update?

Also, is it possible to roll back update?

Where are firmware files available for download, for usage with "Manual Firmware Update"?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Apparently there is new MX500 firmware as of 29/11/18? Not one word out here or internet?

Downgrading firmwares invalidates the warranty.

Manual firmware updates are here (none for the MX500 yet) http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

I'm pretty sure my new drive shipped with 23 on it now you mention it (though I could be mis-remembering).  If there's anything useful in 23, I'm sure they'll add it here.  But it's not impossible that there isn't anything useful for existing drives.  Since it's a minor revision, it could just be tweaks to support newer hardware revisions out of the factory.

If you subscribe to this thread, you'll be notified when a new firmware is available: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Firmware-Update-Notifications/m-p/57854#M55972

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Apparently there is new MX500 firmware as of 29/11/18? Not one word out here or internet?

The drive was delivered new a few days ago with M3CR022 firmware installed, which was released in June 2018 and is, as far as anything goes on this forum, the Crucial website and the internet, the latest update for the MX500. MX500.jpgmx500 update availableMX500 firm update.jpgmx500 update details

Storage Executive states Firmware update M3CR023 available, with following release notes.

• Corrected status response in the event of unsuccessful or aborted Sanitize command.
  • Improved compatibility with certain 3rd party TCG software.
  • Prevent potential loss of PSID during firmware update
  • Release date Saturday 29th November 2018

Minor/Major, the updates are always beneficial for the drives, one way or another, I would have thought with so many users of the Crucials MX SSD's there would have already been notification in this active forum, or directly on the website~?

Looks like I am the first person, outside the Storage Exectutive software, to make the public aware that there is apparaently a new update as of 29/11/18 M3CR023.

Considering there is a specific sticky thread on this forum relating to latest firmware releases, that seems surprising.

I would still like a definitive answer that this is a valid and recognised update from Crucial if possible?

Cheers.

JEDEC Jedi

My drive has 23 and it arrived on the 27th novemeber.  But the store I ordered it from sold out when I ordered so mine must be brand new stock they got last week from Crucial.  So I guess it was in new drives from the factory before Storage Exec got it.

So yes, it is genuine - I have it.  And Storage Exec is Crucials own program so you can trust it as a source.

That third point is a known issue with the 22 update so it woudl make sense that would make it into the firmware.

Kilobyte Kid

OK that will have to do.  Many thanks.

Maybe someone will update the stickied 'Firmware upgrade available'..thread at some point, so others also get notified of available update.

Cheers.

JEDEC Jedi

There was another post on here pointing out CSE was reporting new firmware for the MX300 as well, but that also has not hit the manual download yet.    I'm glad to see we are about to get them though.

Kilobyte Kid

Has anybody used the Crucial Storage Executive software to apply the M3CR023 firmware update successfully? Looking for verification that the process actually works, doesn't freeze up the PC, cause it to crash, breaks the SSD etc etc. 

Kilobyte Kid

Updated two SSDs without problem.