BIOS settings for new install

Bit Baby

BIOS settings for new install

Do I need to change the BIOS settings before installing my Crucial CT1000MX5000SSD1?  After initially installing it, I ran Storage Executive and it 'said' the setting should be ACHI for better performance.  I have a reason to format the drive and 'start from scratch,' so should I change the BIOS this time to match the ACHI setting?

Thanks.

Dave

16 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BIOS settings for new install

Yes, you should set the SATA mode to AHCI mode before installing Windows.

Bit Baby

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Kilobyte Kid

Greetings!
After a virgin installation on the brand new SSD it simply fails to load from it. BIOS sees it, able to set as boot, but then keeps asking me for a new boot device. The Windows repair doesn´t see violation, nor an installed Win 10 on the disk, but the old system sees the data copied. What to do next?

JEDEC Jedi

Did you set it to AHCI BEFORE install?  Your life is a lot trickier if you did it after install...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I tried all the ways, at least 10 times

What´s weird is that the windows boot disc can not indentify any windows to repair on the SSD right after the install. Like it´s unable to create a working system partition. Also other programmes doesn´t recignise it as a system partition either. The files are copied, but not the means.

Desperation 99%

Kilobyte Kid

I wasn´t even able to set the SSD as a bootable device before changing to AHCI

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

@Thomasman  Did you ever get this sorted out?  If not, what version of Win10 are you installing and how did you acquire it?  (OEM DVD.   OEM Restore DVD,  Rescue Media,  Official Microsoft DVD installer,  download from Microsoft, other?)

Also do you know if you are booting in Legacy MBR mode or in UEFI mode?

Did you manually partition the drive during install or did you let Windows do it all for you automatically?

If you bring up the BIOS/UEFI boot menu for your system, what options are presented?

What changes have you made to the BIOS/UEFI settings since the install?   Did you make any changes before your first installation attempt?

What SSD are you using?

Kilobyte Kid

Hey! 

I didn´t sort it out, and gave up. 

Official Win 10 download, made by Rufus, worked on HDD

Tried legacy mode with MBT partion (made by partition wizard) and UEFI too, in both combinations

I installed on empty space, win install made the partitions.

I removed all the other boot options, if I put HDD (with a working win 10 Pro) back, boots, if kept in, boot order changed, fails. 

Basically I tried every change that made sense, still the same. Insert bootable media and reboot. 

Crucial MX500SSD1

Kilobyte Kid

To be precise: Crucial CT1000MX5000SSD1

That´s how I got into this forum, checked for the name of the drive