BX100 2.5 SSD dead. Did a power on/off cycle and a firmware upgrade. "Disk not supported". Help!

Bit Baby

BX100 2.5 SSD dead. Did a power on/off cycle and a firmware upgrade. "Disk not supported". Help!

L.S.,

the message is in the header. Are there any possibilities to save this SSD or is it ready for the bin?

I tried it both in IDE and AHCI mode to do the upgrade, no succes.

It was a very sudden death by the way. Unexpected.

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BX100 2.5 SSD dead. Did a power on/off cycle and a firmware upgrade. "Disk not supported&qu

It sounds like you had a sudden failure and have attempted the power cycling of the SSD to attempt to get the SSD working again.  Please provide a few more details on what happened, your system setup (computer, OS, was the drive encrypted) and how you tried to perform the firmware upgrade (using Crucial Storage Executive or by creating a bootable USB updater), etc.  If possible and assuming the system can communicate with the SSD, please provide the current firmware revision of the BX100 and a screenshot of the SMART Attributes for the BX100 (Crucial Storage Executive and GSmartControl are two good options for getting this information).  If the BX100 was the boot drive and you have no way to connect it to another system, then I can provide instructions on creating a bootable USB drive to get the SMART attributes.

Bit Baby

Re: BX100 2.5 SSD dead. Did a power on/off cycle and a firmware upgrade. "Disk not supported&am

1. The Crucial drive was the C drive in a desktop computer, with windows 10.

2. It was busy during the night doing a CHKDSK procedure on drive J, a 8 TB HDD.

3. I saw a message like "an error occured and the system has to restart", or equal words.

4. After that I had a black screen, I had to remove the disk to see the bios again.

5. To make swapping a lot easier I put the Cruscial disk in a laptop computer, did the power cycle and the firmware upgrade, the disk was and is unrecognizable in both computers. The laptop is a 6650b of HP and normally runs under windows 10. The desktop is a self build computer around a FM2A88X. I used a USB stick to do the firmware upgrade.

JEDEC Jedi

Re: BX100 2.5 SSD dead. Did a power on/off cycle and a firmware upgrade. "Disk not supported&am

Thanks for confirming with additional details.  It doesn't look good.

While you did try the SSD in another computer, there is a slim chance a BIOS setting could still be interfering.  Is it possible for you to reset the BIOS to defaults on one of the systems?   You could try connecting the SSD using a USB  SATA adapter  as it will communicate a bit differently and can block some commnads to the drive.  The Crucial adapter isn't perfect, but does work well.  You can also use a drive dock or enclosure if you have them.  Some adapters/docks/enclosures  just don't work well so choose wisely.  Both of these are long shots.

If you need to retrieve data, then sending the SSD to a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers is your best option.  They do provide free quotes and I believe there is no charge unless they can retrieve data.  Otherwise you could try leaving the SSD powered on with no data cable for a few hours or a day hoping the SSD's controller will automatically fix itself (I recently tried it with an SSD from Dell without any luck).   You could also leave the SSD sit unplugged for a very long time (a year or two) and perhaps at some point it will come back to life.   I had a non-Crucial SSD come back to life after sitting a year or more so it is possible.  The NAND cells & internal memory cannot hold their data indefinitely.

If you want to do a little more checking, then the best way to do so is using a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive and checking the system logs to see if the SSD is visible and maybe see what type of errors are given as it attempts communication.  I can provide some instructions if you like.  If you have another Windows system, you could try connecting the SSD using a USB adapter and reviewing the Windows logs using Event Viewer.  I'm not a Windows user, so I'm not sure if they will provide any useful information.