BX300 Issues on MacBook Pro

m1m
Kilobyte Kid

BX300 Issues on MacBook Pro

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13" running on High Sierra. All software updates are installed. I've installed a BX300 480GB SSD and less than 8 months down the line, I've started experiencing major issues.

Randomly, whenever using the computer, the spinning beachball of death will show up. My Mac then completely freezes for about 5 minutes after which it shuts itself down. Upon rebooting, I'm greeted by the flashing folder with a question mark indicating the startup disk cannot be found. The only way to get it to boot normally is to go into internet recovery, do absolutely nothing but choose to restart. It then boots normally and I continue using it until the next time the issue arises. Even in internet recovery mode, in the OS X Utilities screen, disk utility doesn't detect the disk. It also isn't detected in the Startup Disk screen.

When it first started, it would occur maybe once a week. I would try reinstalling macOS but it didn't help. I even tried downgrading to OS X 10.9 & 10.11 but that didn't help either. The issue now occurs more frequently, at least once every two days. It's extremely frustrating.

Thing is, there's two of us with the exact same model of Mac. We both upgraded the RAM using 16GB Crucial for Mac kits. However, when it came to SSDs, he chose another brand (512GB, more expensive) while I went with the 480GB BX300. I thought I was getting a really great deal for a MLC SSD.

I've attached a screenshot of the result of trying First Aid using disk utility when it boots up normally. If anyone can help decipher the error message, I'd really appreciate it.disk_utility_first_aid.jpg

Tags (2)
4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BX300 Issues on MacBook Pro

It sounds like the hard drive cable in your laptop needs replaced.   With the 13" (mid 2012) model, the hard drive cables were notorious for failing, so much so Apple actually had a free replacement program which expires three years from date of purchase.    To confirm the cable is the problem, try Option Booting your MBPro with the SSD connected with a USB to SATA Adapter.   Your old version of OSX will not see the new SSD due to the use of APFS so booting externally is your best option.     FYI, some USB adapters may not always be compatible, but if it does work you know for sure.

I've personally seen very weird behavior with these failing cables on this model.   

Crucial Employee

I second @HWTech's suspicions. It sounds like the ribbon cable in your MBP could be the culprit.

The important thing is get the SSD outside of the MBP and test it externally. See if the drive can be detected, formatted, and then reinstall or do a time machine restore to the SSD and test it externally. If the drive functions and works fine outside the mac, but you have issues only after installing it, the ribbon cable is likely to blame. 

We have an article that walks you through all these troubleshooting steps for Macbook Pro issues. You can ignore the firmware update mention since it isn't relevant to your model of SSD.

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/SSD-Troubleshooting-for-a-MacBook-Pro-computer/ta-p/178486

If the SSD is still acting erratic and having problems even when connected externally, it will likely need to be replaced, and we would be happy to help you set that up.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
m1m
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Crucial_Benny,

Thanks for your response and apologies for the late reply.

I plan on purchasing the following to try out both your and @HWTech's solution:

1. StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/UASP – SATA to USB 3.0 Converter fo...
  2. MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable or HDD Hard Drive Flex Cable 821-2049-a for Apple MacBook Pro 13" A1278 Mid 2012.

Also throw in one of these for electronics repairs:

1. iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit

Once I've swapped the cables and used the computer for a few days, I'll update on the outcome. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

FYI, the "part number" on the back of the official new cables from Apple is "821-00698-A".   The official Apple part number of the revised part is 923-00975.  And I cannot believe someone is actually more expensive than Apple.

If you still have problems after replacing the cable, try reinstalling OSX on top of itself just in case the system files became corrupted due to the faulty cable.  It should allow you to keep your data intact, but I would still make sure you have a good backup of your important files.