BX300 in Fujitsu Q900 freezes

HJP
Kilobyte Kid

BX300 in Fujitsu Q900 freezes

Hello all,
I got a big problem with my new BX300 480GB in my Fujitsu Q900. It´s an mini pc with mobile components base on sandy bridge. I have an i7-2670qm on qm67 chipset with 8GB DDR3 so-dimm. There is only one SSD and one ODD (BD-RAM) possible.
I used a M500 480GB with Win7 and a MX100 256 with Win10 before. They both ran smooth. I cloned the M500 to the MX100 and made the update to Win10 on the MX100.
Then I cloned the MX100 to the BX300, started Win10 and had a freeze after about 5 Minutes where I could only move the mouse and had to switch off hard by OS override.
What could be the reason for this unexpected freezes? The CDI shows no problems except some CRC errors which are due to a bad connection of the drive backplane to the mainboard socket.
br
Hans

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BX300 in Fujitsu Q900 freezes

Please provide a screenshot of the SMART attributes for the BX300.  Does Event Viewer show anything?  Have you tried a "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" to verify the filesystem & system files are Ok?  

I'm no longer a Windows user so I don't know if it is possible with Win10, but I know it used to be possible to configure Windows to monitor particular aspects of various system components so you could review the saved history to see what is happening at the time of the problem.  This might provide some more insight to the issue.

Another more drastic option would be to perform a clean install of Win10 on the BX300 to see if it might be a cloning issue.  It is usually better to create a bootable USB drive to boot from when you clone a system as it tends to be more reliable.  With Win10 I would suggest performing a full shutdown by holding the Shift key while selecting "Shutdown" before attempting a clone (or remove the hibernation file after shutdown).

Is the system BIOS up to date and is the SATA controller configured for AHCI mode?  Also enable SATA Hot Plugging and  disable Link Power Management if those options are available.  You may also want to disable putting the SSD to sleep.

FYI, whenever I repurpose an SSD I usually Secure Erase it so it is reset to factory defaults (plus it may regain some lost performance).

HJP
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your answer,

the system is running on AHCI from the first second on. First I had a 500GB HDD installed, then a M500 480GB Win7, then MX100 256 GB Win7->Win10, then tried to install the BX300 but I couldn´t copy more than 12% of Win10 data to the drive due to problems of contact between the backplane of mass storage and the mainboard. Therefore I tried to install Win1o on my second SandyBridge System i5 2500 from same vendor and put it in the Q900. The SSD started and then after 3 to 5 minutes work it stopped and only moving the mouse was possible. Then I cloned the MX100 to the BX300 with Ghost 11.5. I had the same experience that the system stopped after 3 to 10 minutes. Then I put this BX300 in my other system, it started immediately, installed some missing drivers and ran smoothly for more than 3 hours as activation of Win10 was bound to microsoft and done automaticly.

I seems that the BX300 has trouble with the mobile sandy bridge plattform? The only thing I tried is to run the Q900 in highes performance settings to stop LPM from working, but it didn´t help.BX300.JPG

JEDEC Jedi

What happens when you try to install Windows on the BX300 while installed in this system?  Was that what you meant about copying 12% of data or is that a reference to a clone?

Contrary to popular belief most cloning software does not make a completely identical clone.  While most times this is fine, other times it can cause issues.  

Moving a Windows boot drive from one system to another is possible, but unless it has an identical chipset you will need to install the proper drivers as you probably know.  Even then things may not go smoothly as I have personally had trouble removing & installing drivers at times since some remant of the previous driver/setting can remain to cause problems.

Your screenshot hasn't been approved by the moderators yet, so I will check back later.   Since you mentioned connection issues with the backplane, this could mean there is an issue with your system, an issue with the BX300, or perhaps the BX300 is not aligning properly with the backplane which is causing your issues.

HJP
Kilobyte Kid

When installing the BX300 either with USB or with DVD the copying of the data stopped at about 12%.

The problem seems to be the connection between the drives and the mainboard. It is not a cable but a sort of backplane with a Sata plug for 2,5` and a mini-Sata plug for a ODD. The backplane is pluged in a connector on the mainboard. It seems that it was designed for only mounting once.

Now the CDI screen is shown.

My Q900 is sandy bridge mobile and the P700 is a desktop sandy bridge. 

I can not believe that the problem is the system as the M500 and the MX100 run smoothly!!!!!!

There must be anything wrong with the BX300 running in the mobile chipset. I will try my BX300 in my old notebook to see if there is a general mistake in the BX300 within mobile chipsets. 

JEDEC Jedi

The C7 Ultra DMA CRC Error attribute definitely shows that the cable/connection between the system & the BX300 is not up to the task with this drive.  I don't recall which controller those drives you have are using, but even if they were the same there could still be slight differences in implementation on the newer BX300.   I don't know if this cable/connector is replaceable.  Is it possible to wrap some shielding around the cable to the SSD?  Just make sure it does not come into contact with any electronics.

HJP
Kilobyte Kid

These C7 Errors can also be seen in the M500 CDI screen. Unfortunately the backplane cannot be changed. I can send a picture from the inside that it could become a bit clearer how the connectore looks like. Maybe tomorrow.
JEDEC Jedi

When using the BX300 in another system or with a USB3 adapter, do the C7 Ultra DMA CRC errors still increase?  If so, then it would appear to be an issue with the BX300, otherwise it sounds like you will have to forego using the BX300 in this system then.    

You could try to  Secure Erase the BX300 (installed internally in another system) as a last ditch effort since it will reset the SSD to factory defaults.  If it has gotten into some weird state, maybe this could reset it for you.

HJP
Kilobyte Kid

Here you can see the system Q900 from the inside. The green plate is the backplat where from the back side the ODD and the SSD are pluged in and with the golden connectors the backplate is pluged into the mainboar connector.

In my opinion the BX300 seems to have eather problems with the energy saving of the mobile platform or with the bad connection of the backplate. It´s strange that there is no problem with the MX100 but with the BX300. And it is a clone which is good enough to run the same way as the source. So I use the BX300 further on in my desktop Esprimo P700. Thanks for your help. HJP

Q900inside.jpg