BX300 issue with slow 4k speeds

Kilobyte Kid

BX300 issue with slow 4k speeds

Hi,

Just installed my BX300 240GB and seems to be getting slower 4k speeds than most of the benchmarks that i found online, around 50% slower. Below is the CDM 5.0 benchmarks.

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :   561.705 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :   524.365 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   159.684 MB/s [ 38985.4 IOPS]R

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   121.182 MB/s [ 29585.4 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) :   508.771 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) :   487.888 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :    25.805 MB/s [  6300.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :    69.482 MB/s [ 16963.4 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 10.9% (24.3/223.0 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 1600

Asus ROG Strix B350-F

Adata 8GB Ram

Are my numbers above normal? Would like to know if there is anything wrong with my build or ssd. Thanks.

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BX300 issue with slow 4k speeds

We don't see many benchmarks here these days so I'm not actually sure how a BX300 should look!

It's worth nothing that AMD traditionally don't do as well as Intel at sata performance so make sure you're comparing to other AMD users.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks i did read that the AMD motherboards have somewhat slower speeds, but my numbers are around 50% of almost all benchmarks that i have seen posted. Is this normal or am i missing some settings in the bios? Maybe even a faulty drive?

JEDEC Jedi

A fault that would hurt a hard drives performance would hurt it much more than that.  Like slowed to near zero speeds.

I remember on older AMD's it helped performance to enable a RAID mode you weren't using. One of the else common ones - 5 or 10 or something.  Don't know if that's still relevant.

I seem to recall using AMD's storage drivers rather than Microsofts is also more important performance wise whereas most (but not all) Intel users can use either/or.

Make sure your power profile in Windows is set to performance.

If you have the option, enable hot swap for the drives sata port as this will disable all power saving to the port.

I'm largely clutching at straws here.  Those Ryzens are sweet but my last AMD was an XP1800+!

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I personally haven't run anything more than a quick test on the BX300s so I 'm not sure how they behave with 4K tests.    Have you installed the latest firmware, chipset & SATA drivers from Asus?  Have you tried using a different SATA cable and port?  Does the Asus motherboard UEFI settings have any special configuration for SATA devices or individual ports?   Turn off any overclocking or other custom settings such as those for memory.   If you have a USB3 to SATA adapter, connect the BX300 externally and see how it tests.

Other things that can affect performance is how the SSD is formatted.   If for some reason it was not formatted for 4K blocks (or to match the actual block size for the SSD), then it would hurt performance significantly.  Windows should do this properly, but if something went wrong.... If the SSD is connected as a second drive does it have the same formatting as the boot drive (MBR or GPT)?

If you are running tests on your boot drive, it could affect performance as most review sites will have the SSD under test installed as a second data only drive.    AV & other software could be interfering.   I also wonder if the Meltdown & Spectre mitigations are affecting you.   While AMD is not affected by Meltdown, Windows might still have those mitigations active even for AMD systems.

You could also try performing a Sanitize/Secure Erase on the drive and retest it, but this will delete all the data & partitioning on the SSD.    The SSD must be connected to an internal controller.

You could also examine the SMART Atrributes on the SSD by using Crucial Storage Executive.  If you are not sure how to read them, feel free to post a screenshot for us.

Also while testing I would follow targetbsp's suggestion of putting Windows into Performance Mode.

Kilobyte Kid

Targetbsp, thanks for putting to bed the issue of faulty drive, that was my main concern. I will do some research about the AMD drivers, hopefully this will help bump up the numbers. About the hot swap thing, i'm not sure what it does but option is currently disabled in my bios.

Kilobyte Kid

HWtech thanks for bringing up the Crucial Storage Executive app. I didn't know it exists and there was no mention of it in the packaging. The motherboard drivers are updated according to ASUS ez-update. I'm not seeing any slow down in real word usage so i can live with those numbers, and i will give your suggestions a try. For a start i disabled the AV and another security program and indeed the numebrs went up 10-20%. Feeling better now with the higher numbers and non-issue of a faulty drive Smiley Happy

This is my first pc build and there are really so many things that i'm unfamiliar with.

JEDEC Jedi

@newssd88 wrote:

About the hot swap thing, i'm not sure what it does but option is currently disabled in my bios.

It allows you to remove and insert a new drive to that sata port whilst the system is still running.  This step is mostly used a diagnostic fix if a certain SSD on a certain config 'disappears' in use in a low power mode. Hot swap would allow it to 'come back' again.  But also, apparently prevents low power states int he first place (so I've heard).

I enable hot swap as a matter of course on all my SSD's even though only every experiencing the disspearing drive (after resume from sleep) with an 8 year old model on an 11 year old computer.

The downside is that Windows then gives you the option to 'eject' your SSD.  You know where the eject usb drive is the system tray?  I've never dared click it... Smiley Very Happy

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@newssd88,  Congratulations on your first PC build!   You definitely chose good hardware as I'm hoping to build the same system as soon as I can grab a Vega56 GPU.

@targetbsp,   I was not aware of the SSD dropping issue was that wide spread.   Crucial actually disabled APM on the MX300 SSDs with the M0CR060 update because it was causing the SSD to drop from systems (we noticed this ourselves before the update).    You should be able to issue an ATA command to the SSD to disable APM, but I think it needs to be done on every boot as this setting is not permanently saved.    On Linux it can be accomplished using the "hdparm" command, but I'm not sure how it can be done using Windows.