BX500 works only in IDE, need advice.

Kilobyte Kid

BX500 works only in IDE, need advice.

Hello. I've got some problem with bx500/120gb SSD on laptop samsung r710H (listed as supported) with latest firmware 11sv, SSD can't be chosen as BOOT (in BIOS) device in ACHI, only in IDE mode. (bx500 initialised and parted)
Can you give me any sugdestion about this issue? Do i need to wait some firmware update on this SSD model or should i move to another SSD model or do i need some custom BIOS mod for my laptop? My laptop fully support ACHI, before i buyed bx500, i used sandisk 120g-g27 & all be ok.

This is my sata controller -Intel 82801IM ICH9-M - 4-Port SATA AHCI Controller
(Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI), even when i'm trying to chose driver manualy it did't work, when i'm instaling win7x64. BUT in IDE mode all works...

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BX500 works only in IDE, need advice.

Definitely check for a BIOS firmware update for your laptop.  Try resetting the BIOS to defaults (or optimized defaults) in case something has gotten stuck or corrupted.

To see if this is a hardware compatibility issue, try downloading and installing Windows 10 or even better Ubuntu Linux.  Personally I think Ubuntu is the better option for this test as it completely eliminates Windows drivers as an issue since Win10 has depracated support for some hardware.  You don't need to know anything about Linux to see if this works (just accept the defaults if needed).   You won't be able to use Win10 for more than testing unless you have a valid license for it.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you, but it didn't work.
No luck with Ubuntu, i can install it, but can't boot, because BIOS thinks that SSD not booteble (i can see ssd on sata device on both modes ide & achi, but in boot menu only in ide)
I tryed installing win7 in ide mode and after that manually change ide to achi in Win & after that i changed ide to achi in bios, after restart i can boot system only after laptop thinks about 30sec & need manually tap F11 and choose SSD from menu.
I think it is hardware incapability, need SSD with different controller or find what i need to mod in bios.
Crucial Employee

To be honest in that old of a system I am not sure if you'll notice much if a difference between IDE and AHCI in SATA I anyways. That computer still uses SDRAM, I would seriously considering picking up a used lapotp for $50-100 with DDR3 or even DDR4 that will have a much newer generation SATA controller, and support the full performance on new drives.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

But this laptop has SATA 2/ 16Gb DDR3 and overclocked c2d x9100 extreme to 4ghz, works pretty fast for common tasks, for harder things i have stationary pc for 3d rendering.
In this laptop i installed old M4 60gb for system and it worked fine in achi from bios. BX500 didn't work because of hardware incompatibility (need to modify controller firmware, but I don't have programmer for that sorts of chips)
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

For ICH9 based desktops you can typically get modified BIOS' to better support SSD's.  My old ICH9 desktop faked being an ICH10 for example with a BIOS a former regular on here created for me.  But I doubt you'll be able to get this for a laptop since it involved updating the RAID rom which is kinda irrelevant on a laptop!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?