Block wear-leveling count

Kilobyte Kid

Block wear-leveling count

In the SMART tab I only appeared "block wear-leveling count - units 3" after 10 hours of operation? should I take care of this? ssd.jpg

SSD Crucial BX500 120GB

ps. sorry my english! google translate

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Block wear-leveling count

Hi  AlexeGaby,

At this stage you don't have to take any care of this nor worry. Your SSD is quite small. Did you perform Windows install or some benchmarks? 

You can keep an eye on wear-leveling count but you should give yourself some more time to see how it is changing over time Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

win 10 1809 v17763.195 

Block wear-leveling count 4 Smiley Sad

SSD2.jpg

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

At its most basic (and due to write amplification etc it's not this simple) 3 blocks on a 120GB drive means you've written 360GB. In 10 hours.  Which is equivalent to 36GB per hour.

Mine new 2TB drive is on 5 over 273 hours which is also equivalent to 36GB per hour. So that's not an unrealistic write rate.

Bear in mind, as Bogdan said, you'll do more writing when new.  Your initital filling up of the drive from either a clone or install is insstantly one lot gone.  Then any benchmarks or other experimenting you do on your shiny drive will cause a short term increase in wear that's unrealistic over the drives life.

When you've settled down to typical use, the wear will flatten out.

But small drive do have less endurance that larger ones.  Writing 1 TB to a 1TB drive will use 1 on the wear level count.  On a 120GB drive it will use 8 because 1TB is effectively overwriting that drive 8 times over.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?