Brand new BX300 SSD in mid 2012 MBP hangs randomly for 15 seconds then recovers

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Brand new BX300 SSD in mid 2012 MBP hangs randomly for 15 seconds then recovers

Hi guys, 

I have a 13" mid 2012 MBP that was incredibly slow and used to freeze whenever I opened new applications. I did a clean install with a new BX300 SSD, which made everything much faster and no issues with opening new applications or heavy use. 

However, about once a day I'm getting random hangs for about 15 seconds where I can still move the mouse, but can't click anything and can't change application or window etc. 

Reading around - two options seem to be firmware update (currently no update available for BX300 and since it's brand new, I'm confident I'd be up to date anyway) ; or alternatively a SATA cable issue. 

Anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can do? 

Thanks in advance! 

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Brand new BX300 SSD in mid 2012 MBP hangs randomly for 15 seconds then recovers

The Hard Drive Cable is a very good possibility as I've personally seen a lot of failures with very different symptoms.   

You can try checking the SSD's SMART Attributes to make sure the SSD is Ok.  Programs such as SMARTReporter & DriveDX are free (I've seen DriveDX report some false positives though).   If you provide a screenshot of the SMART Attributes we can check it out for you.   

Another easy test is to remove the SSD and connect it externally with a USB to SATA Adapter.     If it works fine, it is fairly good confirmation the Hard Drive Cable is bad.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Brand new BX300 SSD in mid 2012 MBP hangs randomly for 15 seconds then recovers

Thank you for the response HWTech!

I downloaded SMARTReporter (demo version was free), said that the SMART check was OK (the 1 checked disk was the SSD), screenshot below :

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.02.32.pngscreenshot of SMARTReporter check

Is that a pretty good indication it's the cable? 

Thanks again!

JEDEC Jedi

bazaz,

Your screenshot is not visible.  I don't know if it is in an incompatible format for this forum  or if it needs approved by a moderator.  

We can get the information by running the necessary component of SMARTReporter from the Terminal command line and save it in a text file.  If you right click on the SMARTReporter app and choose "Show Package Contents".   Then navigate to the "Resource" folder.   Open the Terminal app located in the Utilities folder  and type "sudo" without the quotes  then type a space.    Now drag and drop the "smartctl" file from the Resource folder of the SMARTReporter app.    Then type the following without quotes:   "   -a   /dev/disk0   >  ~/Desktop/SSD-Smart-log.txt"  and press return.  You will be prompted you for your password.  Note "disk0" is "disk" + a zero.

Depending where the SMARTReporter app is located, you should see a line something like this:

sudo  /Applications/SMARTReporter.app/Contents/Resources/smartctl  -a  /dev/disk0  >  ~/Desktop/SSD-Smart-log.txt

You should now find the "SSD-Smart-log.txt" file on your Desktop.   Just copy & paste the contents here.

SODIMM Sherpa

Hi all,

The image has been approved and should be visible for all now.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
JEDEC Jedi

Thanks pamelaz.

bazaz,  to show the SMART Attributes you need to click on the "Disk Checks" icon at the top, then "Advanced Options" tab near the center.   Then it should show several buttons one of which should say something like "Attributes".    You will also see a "Self Test" button.  You could try running the long or extended self test.   It shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes or so.

FYI, the SMARTReporter GUI  app looks at these SMART Attributes and tries to assess the health of the drive.  Sometimes it can be a bit conservative and other times a bit aggressive.  It also may not consider all of the attributes since some of them may not be standardized.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks pamelaz and HWTech. 

Smart Attributes test results here: https://pastebin.com/HcAWPrAR.

Also did self test and everything looked OK. 

Happy to hear any thoughts. 

Thanks in advance!  

JEDEC Jedi

Those SMART Attributes look good.  FYI, it appears this version of SMARTReporter is a bit old and doesn't properly show the attributes for the BX300 so it may not properly report the SSD's health.

I thought of a couple of other things for you to check before replacing the Hard Drive Cable.  First check to make sure your laptop's SMC & EFI firmware is up to date. 

Second, try performing a PRAM reset (make sure you hear 3 chimes after initiating the reset before letting go as I've seen some systems take that long before it actually did anything).  You will need to reset the Date & Time and your Startup Disk in System Preferences.

Third, after disconnecting the battery reseat the Hard Drive Cable to the Logic Board.  (If you use any tools to help disconnect the battery, make sure they are non-conductive).   Also check to make sure the memory is fully latched.    To check the difficult to see module, you can take a toothpick or other small non-metalic item to gently press down on the memory module to make sure it is latched.   Just make sure to press just on the bare part of the module near the edge so not to damage the very small & fragile electronic components.  For the more accessible one, just press gently down on the label.

If none of these things help, then if it were my laptop I would replace the Hard Drive Cable.  Just make sure you receive a new cable which should have adhesive on the narrow part of the cable going to the front sleep LED bracket.  The adhesive should be protected by a brown backing.

If you find the cable or memory was loose or you replaced the cable and still have issues, then do another clean install of OSX since any one of these items may have corrupted the previous installation.  To make it easier to troubleshoot, do not migrate any accounts, settings or data until you confirm everything is working correctly.